HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new guy with a few questions
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 08:41 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: new guy with a few questions

I think the Optima Pro is one of the most under rated rifles out there on the market. I have seen some of the groups that rifle will shoot, and read some of the range reports of the rifle and to say the least, they are most impressive. Are there better rifles out there on the market? Sure there are. Any time we get a rifle some other company probably has one as good or perhaps a little better. Does that mean we have to spend the bigger dollars to get the best of the best? That is a personal decision of the person doing the shooting...

I do not think the Optima Pro is an entry level rifle. In fact I dislike that term. No rifle is entry level based on company or cost. Most all in line rifles will shoot respectable groups out to 100 yards once you find your sweet load. Some of the differences in rifles usually can be determined by the kind of steel in the barrels, the trigger assembly and function, the smoothness of the action, the rifle's appearance and finish,overall dependability of the parts,overall costs of the rifle to shoot, and last the warranty... Consider all them and you can determine yourself if the rifle fits your needs. In my book that makes the Optima, as well as many other lower cost rifles a good investment in a well made rifle.

I shoot a CVA Staghorn Magnum as many here know. It was the least expensive of the CVA inline rifles. I think it was $89.00. Is this an entry level rifle? Probably.. Does it shoot? You bet, and I have the range time behind the rifle to prove it.

As I do mention, there is the barrel pressure testing issues with the rifle, but to many, myself included, this is not a deciding factor. If it was, CVA would not be one of the top rifle selling companies in the United States. They sell a good product at a good price. I do wish they would have stayed a little more in the Traditional rifle side of the market, but again that was a CVA marketing decision and last time I looked, I was not on the board of directors.

As for the scopes on the inline rifles. Again, all a matter of personal choice and State hunting regulations you might face in use of the rifle. I have three inlines. One of them has a scope, one has a RED DOT, and the other has afiber optic sights. I have all the bases covered that way.. How much you want to spend on the scope is another matter. I personally go the inexpensive route for scopes. I get the Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn with the extended eye releif. I like at least 4"s of eye relief. The reason I go with this scope is, cost, optics, and warranty. They are not going to break the bank, the optics I found are excellent. Good light gathering ability and clearity. Bushnell has a great warranty. Always had always will. Also, my Black Diamond XR is a fowling devil When I am done shooting the scope is covered in fowling, which I clean off of course. I have noticed now that some of the finish has suffered from this constant fowling and cleaning. Well the scope was only $65.00 it will not break my heart to replace it three years down the road. If I even need to... The scope is holding up very well. The only thing I would have done different is I should have went to a 3-9x40 model. I like the 1.5-4.5x32 but on the range the extra power would have been handy and at extreme distances (something we are getting into for fun now) would have been nice to have... If all your shots are 100 yards and under, a straight 4X would do you just fine, but for a few dollars more, you can get more options...

As usual, Mark Whiz gave some great advise as did the others on break in of the rifle. Shoot the patches roundballs or maxi ball. I get mine from http://www.blackjackhill.com/ Black Jack Hill. Great place to do business with and great people to deal with. Breaking in of the rifle is a good way to learn the trigger of the rifle, head position of the rifle, and just have a good time.

Good luck with your rifle and keep us posted on how it is shooting for you...