HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What makes for a successful hunt?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2005, 08:33 AM
feddoc
Fork Horn

Default RE: What makes for a successful hunt?

For me, I have never had a non-successful hunt. I've come home empty handed a few times, but they have all been fun and I have good memories from all of them over the past 31 or so years of hunting.

That is especially true not that I have now started hunting with my family. My wife and older son now hunt and our newest son, he is 5, goes with us to. While having my family along limits my longest walks that I am used to taking, I wouldn't change my experience with them for anything. My wife missed a very big 6x6 year before last that she still whines about.

Teaching my boys how to track, smell, stalk, shoot, dress animals...it is all an experience that has been a dream of mine for many years. My youngest has even started teaching himself how to cow call. And he doesn't mind checking elk poop for freshness. He can't wait for the day when he can go out in the field with me for real...neither can I.

We usuallyget toour spotabout a week before season starts. Set up camp, bring water, get groceries, cut wood for the fire and generally just get excited and make plans for the upcoming hunt. No computer, no work, no neighbors, and no worries.