HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mineral Licks
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 02:03 AM
slobbyrobby33
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mineral Licks

Thanks Sean600. I see to many guys that put out minerals,food plots, or crops , etc... etc.. and they expect mirecals. Its takes a few years to get a noticible difference. The first things we saw were in the size of the racks of the yearlings and 2 year old bucks and the size of the does. I am taking that the young bucks are being helped by mama before they were born and the fact that the does taught them to go after the minerals. After 4 years we are starting to see some size difference in mature bucks that have been seen in years past with smaller racks.

The farm I hunt has had a lot of presure hunting for quit a few years. There has also been some very poor genetics ( that have been culled out), an over abundance of does, that have also been culled, and over hunting.. As you said Sean600, it is the sum of the whole. If the deer did not need the minerals they would not use it. My minerals are not offered in any kind of sweet feed, they are just the minerals. that should tell you something. I also do not hunt over my mineral licks, I want the deer to have access to these with out fear of any kind.

Like I said in earler post I hunt in some of the best farm land in Missouri and the deer on this farm have been poor despite that fact. So I do belive that the minerals are working. the only thing we have done on this farm in 4 years is add the mineral licks and change some of the food plotts around.