HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 12 Ga. Close in killing
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 08:31 PM
XTP

Default RE: 12 Ga. Close in killing

Get a lawyer ( typical ),assault weapons,00 buck shot.....Holy Sh*t guys these are dogs!! Lets the local authorities handle it or you will be up the creek.If they don't and/or the dogs come back I agree 100 % with defending yourself or others,but a load of #2 shot will put any dog down at a defensive range and change their minds pretty quick out further.Rifle bullets and 00 buck overpenetrate and can ricochet endangering other people ( even the ones you may be protecting).A shot load up close is just as effective but spreads out and loses energy quickly.

Don't take this the wrong way.....your attack was unfortunate and the owners need to be held accountable.I own a Rottie myself and know how much strength they have.With two of them there you are lucky to not be much worse off.Normally if a Rottie bites and does not want to let go,you will not overpower him.

Lastly...make sure you can still shoot with a broken wing. A 12 guage packs a good kick. Might have to select a different weapon in the meantime.I believe it was Elmer Keith who said he would rather stand in front of a nimrod with a .44 mag than in front of an expert with a .22 !!