HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best place to shoot an elk??
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Elkcrazy8
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best place to shoot an elk??

I agree with robinhood and big bulls on this one. One shot with an arrow through the lungs on any big game animal and it will go down quick. Rifle may be another story with the bullet cauterizing the wound as it goes. With an arrow, those lungs will fill with blood and the animal is going down very fast. I have had elk go right down as soon as the arrow passes through. The farthest recovery was 50 yards and the animal was down within seconds. I have a hard time swallowing the fact that any elk shot with an arrow through both lungs will make it over 75 yards or so. I have also shot many animals in the heart. From what I have experienced, the animal makes the run of death and can cover much more ground than a double lung hit elk. I have witnessed 18 different elk go down in the past 5 years, I would have to say that the ones that were hit double lung, went down the fastest. I always try to aim high and back from the scapula. Trying to make a heart shot puts me a little closer than I like from such a large bone. I haven't lost one yet, so I am sticking to what I would consider the sweet spot, which for me is a little higher and a little back...................