HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sierra Tech Support
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 08:22 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Sierra Tech Support

Hodgdon was right. They don't use SAAMI spec pressure barrels. They use regular ole guns. And examine primers, and extractor marks and bolt lift. Just called them.

Thats the reason edition 5 Sierra manual says 43gr max Varget with 140gr 7mm gameking for 7mm08 and edtion 4 says 44.6gr.

Thats a huge variation. But I see the pros and cons.

Pros: True no gun shoots alike and all load data is just guidelines of what one guy saw in one gun. So Sierra may be one to something.

Cons:A pressure barrel are usually much more consistent and may build pressure quicker than a regular old hammer forged barrel from remington. I said maybe, cause so many variations to affect this from thoat dimensions to copper build up. So load data got from a pressure barrel seems conservative and if you follow it, you should be safe any any gun. I said should.

Reading pressure is an art, not an exact science. for instance before you see flattening primers on a CCI primer, you might see a pin hole on it, and be in very high pressures. But a federal will flatten out at middle loads.