HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best place to shoot an elk??
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2005, 01:31 PM
charlie brown
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best place to shoot an elk??

I go with # 1 before I will agree with # 2. I would rather have something that can make it into the heart/lung area every time, no matter what it has to go through to get there. That doesn't matter if its deer, elk, whatever, the target is the same for me. I shoot a .30-06 and .50 Muzzle loader for hunting. Those are my two rifles of choice. I hope to finally draw a ML tag, and of course, that is what I will be using, with 350 grain lead bullets. I can't risk trying to do a precision guided shot into the neck with open sights and a rifle that will group 2" at 50 yards. (my .30-06 will do much better group wise, but I still feel the lungs/heart are the best target). If the shoulder gets in the way, and there is no chance that the shoulder will get out of the way, the bullet will be going through the shoulder. I would prefer to get it right into the lungs, but will take any shot I can get. I have yet to shoot anything with that ML, so I do not know exactly what kind of damage will be expected. I doubt a bullet traveling 1300 FPS at the muzzle will do too much damage to the meat if the bullet were to go through the shoulder. We shall see!!