HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Longbeard Down!
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 10:46 AM
OntElk
Typical Buck

Default Longbeard Down!

Shot this fella Monday, May 2. Week one had some moments. Called 2 across a river. Ended up being jakes and they surprised me and I busted them. Busted another Jake after getting up to leave for a meeting. Misjudged a field jake's distance and had a miss as well.

This is all with my "favorite" roosting spot not yet having any gobblin going on. That changed Monday with one loud gobble. I was pretty sure I knew not only the area but the tree this guy was in so before it got too light I made a quick move in on him from my original spot. Set up at a tree where I could see down and old logging road and into the valley beside the ridge the road came up. His next gobble confirmed he was in the tree I thought and I had actually sneaked in a little further than I was plannning and he was right out ahead of me.

about 15 mins of strutting and gobbling on the limb and he stretched out to flydown an I got a good look at the beard. He soared down and landed on the edge of the road 15 yds in front of my gun barrel. Started to got into to stru when the Winchester Extended #5's jellyheaded him big time.

He flipped down the steep incline behind and tumbled down over rocks losing half his feathers on his breast area and wings. No mount or cape for this guy but he was a fine one indeed.

20.0 lbs, 1 " and 7/8" spur, 9 1/2 " beard.

One more tag to fill...............