Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 TEAM #25 - Springtime Assasins >

TEAM #25 - Springtime Assasins

Community

TEAM #25 - Springtime Assasins

Old 04-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Spike

Default RE: TEAM #25 - NEW - NEEDS A FEW MORE

just checking in,good to go on 4-20 northern michigan. team 25 all the way
Old 04-06-2009, 04:41 PM

FORGET THE WIND JUST HUNT- thats my new slogan after today!!!!!!!!!
Well despite the windy conditions here, somehow I got it done on opening day. After the morning hunt w/ my wife she went back to bed. I went back to the woods to see what I could scare up. I had a gobble and went to work on him. I got alot of response from him but couldnt get him to commit. I went home and ate some lunch took a little nap. At about noon I went back out for one last hoorah for opening day. I went to the edge of a creek and gave a soft call. BAM he was right in my lap. I quickly set up my little hen decoy and set down in some brush on the side of a hill. GOBBLE GOBBLE, there he was right behind me. The adrenaline was starting to flow by now. I gave a few soft clucks and purred to him a little. When I first saw him he was walking down the hill about 10 yrds to the side of me. Thank God for the brush I was in. As soon as he saw the decoy he was struttin and drummin like crazy right there beside me. My heart was coming out of my dang chest now and I was beginning the shakes real bad. It was at this point that I realized he was just a jake but you know, I never thought twice about it. I had my decoy ranged at 30 yrds and when he went behind a cedar I set up and drew my bow. Now he was giving my decoy a love song and strutting up bigtime. The next time he stopped I sent my arrow on its way. Heard the smack and watched him trot about 10 yrds and died right there.

I had a blast, regardless of wether he is a jake or not I got him runnin and gunning w/ my bow. No blind just natural brush and the show he put on was great. Here are some pics for yall to enjoy.

Oh yea and if the deke looks a little wierd its because its a foam jake I got on sale for 5 bucks. Painted the head and popped the beard back into the body. It looks good enough for me and the turkeys I guess.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

WAY TO GO MAN!!!!

That is so cool!!

Congrats!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:14 AM

Congrats on the bow kill, and way to get us started. Webbclan here, reporting in from Oklahoma. Will be hunting Rios and Easterns. I took my son for a while yesterday morning. Birds were very vocal, but also very much in love with the hens they traveled with. I think a mid-day hunt would have been more succesful, but we were pressed for time.
Good luck to all, and I will hopefully have good news to report this weekend.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will Be hunting Rios by the way...

Have some big ones staked out and some other nice ones too. I probably will not be too picky this year on my bird...I just love to hunt em and If the hunt is fun and everything goes right...shoot I might even take a jake. I really dont care too much if I shoot a monster but I guess we will see what happens.

My season opens this saturday!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the bird. Way to get us started! That sounds like it was a great hunt, and with a bow makes it all the better.

Good job!
Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Spike

Congratulations.

I'll be hunting easterns. South Dakota archery season starts on saturday and my minnesota season isn't until the 3rd week in May.
Good Luck all.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Spike

Congratulations.

I start in South Dakota on saturday and Minnesota the 3rd week of may.

Good Luck
Old 04-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Spike

great report.. really gets me going. come on 4-20
Old 04-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

hello guys

Quick Reply: TEAM #25 - Springtime Assasins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.