Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 **Team 21 "The Last Gobble"** 2009 CONTEST CHAMPIONS >

**Team 21 "The Last Gobble"** 2009 CONTEST CHAMPIONS

Community

**Team 21 "The Last Gobble"** 2009 CONTEST CHAMPIONS

Old 03-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Posting pictures

we weren't too hopeful of getting anything because a front is coming in...but we hoofed it to his favorite field and got set up....we heard 2 gobbles early but the wind was kickin' so they weren't too vocal.
all morning long mybf would screw with me andsay "Gobbler" and i'd go weak until i'd hear him gigglin' like a lil school boy...he'd get me every time!!
about 0830et i decided that i had to go to the lil girl's room...i passed him the gun and started to get up but he told me to wait so he could scan the field with his binoculars....he blurts out "Gobbler" and my first reaction was "yeah, ok" but then then he started to hand the gun back to me....at that point i really did go weak cause i saw the look on his face and knew he was serious....i get the gun back and get it in position and look out and see this beautiful fan...y'all, i went weak...lol.
he was able to convince this bird to come in closer and closer....finally the bird was in range but i was using his gun which had a scope on it and i kept losing him....i almost went into panic mode but i finally got him back in my sights....rNs told me to take him but he was behind a bush which also had me freakin' out....i start talkin' to God "come on God, just one more step" and the bird takes one more step....i went to pull the trigger and nothing....i realized that it was his gun and not mine and that i needed to pull harder....which i did...and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!! dropped him in his tracks....we jumped up and hugged...i was soooo happy i almost teared up...lol....we run out to my bird and he's a niiiiiiiice bird....we confirmed that he was my biggest to date......we take pics and head back to the trucks....y'all, it was soooooo flippin' awesome to share something soooooo awesome with him....he's my bestfriend and the love of my life.....it was beyond meaningful....couldn't have gotten any better....that is..............until i got home.
i was gettin' ready to clean him, cut his beard off when i notice more beard....i pulled on it and realized that it had TWO BEARDS.....can y'all say "flhuntress got her FIRST DOUBLE BEARDED BIRD"???
the entire neighborhood knew...LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
i started jumpin' around like tigger and actin' a total fool....but who cares...i got a double beard!!!
there's NO WAY on this God's green earth that it would have happened withoutjim being sooooo wonderful, sooooo self-less, such a great turkey hunter, etc......he gave up his oppurtunity to pull the trigger, he did some awesome callin', and he was just the best...really, i can't say enough good things about him today.
oh yeah, he had some funky spurs or i would have decided on a full body mount but not this time.
oh yeah again, he was my 20th osceola!!!!
today has been the best day in the world.

He weighed 18 lb's 11 oz., with a 10-5/8" beard and a 4-1/4" second beard, with a 1-1/16" and 7/8" spurs for a score of 67.8125.

Here's a video of the gobbler and the kill shot.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats huntress!!! You're really gettin the birds down this season!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

P.S. The videos not working for some reason!?
Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

3 weeks and counting

Old 03-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Huntress

Way to go girl. You got it goin' on down there. A double congratulations, congratulations, on a double-bearded gobbler. I haven't killed one yet and this is my 29th turkey season.

I'll post the turkey to the official score thread.

This bird is the top scoring bird in the contest thus far, knocking down Peter's (doall hunter) turkey to #2. You'll have to deal with him on that issue.

Team 21, the last gobble, now has the #1 and the #2 bird taken in the contest.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

i know it's still early in the game but it's still really cool to know that we're kickin' some turkey butt!!

my florida season is over but i still have a few days to go in south carolina.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

not sure why the video isn't working....when i have some more time i'll try to figure it out.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default Mouthcaller is on the board

Scored this morning on a nice bird at our hunting club in NW Tennessee. Killed this turkey at 6:40 am sitting at the same tree where Peter killed his turkey on the youth hunt 8 days ago.

21.2 lbs, 1.0" both spurs, 8.5" beard (some lost to beardrot - see below)
NWTF Score 58.125

The weather this opening weekend of our statewide season was simply aweful. Wind, rain, cold. I never got a decent opportunitydespitehunting hard.

To say it mildly I wanted to see a flopper.

This turkey was roosted by himself next in a big tree next to the Mississippi River on our lease. I saw him in the tree about 400 yards away after I put the decoys out in the dark. I didn't know if he was a gobbler or hen until a goose flew upriver and honked ----> the silence was broken with a resounding gobble-gobble-gobble-gobble. Game on.

He pitched down into the field about 200 yards away. In the dim light he looked like he was walking my way toward my littlehendecoy partybut I wasn't sure. I soft yelped at him and he gobbled. Excellent. He came to about 100-125 and started strutting in a circle, exactly what I figured he would do. This is a huge bean field and the gobblers typically pitch down first and gobble/strut out in the middle until the hens are summoned.

This time no hens appeared but he was standing his gound despite my urgent pleadings on the diaphram. About that time I heard tree yelping over my right shoulder behind me in the woods. The hen flew down and I could see that the strutter heard her. She starting yelping, long slow yelps, but he continued to spin/strut. I was fearful of the hen walking out to him and spoiling the fun so I started yelping back to her in an attemt to get her close to me in case the gobbler decides to come. All he did was gobble at the yelping and stand his ground. Dang - this ain't looking good.

For some reason - maybe this was just my day or I was due, I don't know - the hen didn't seem to want to join the gobbler. I last heard her yelping but further away in the woods. I decided to shut up and see what he would do. After a few more tense moments he breaks strut and starts to walk toward the woods, presumably to look for the uncooperative hen. If he walked straight to the woods he would be too far for a shot, but he had to go around a big mudhole with standing water from the recent rains.If he chose to go around it on his left sideI'm sunk because it takes him further away, but instead he came around it on his right which brought him closer to me. OK, now it's time to make a decision.

I really thought it over because this turkey was out there. There was nothing between us but air and I knew I could get him stopped in the field long enough for a good clean shot. It was really a distance that I knew was right at the edge of what my gun/loads would do. I would have never taken this shot with my "old" 870 12 gauge and 3" lead loads.Three years ago Istitchedto a Mossberg 835 shooting the Nitro 3.5" Triplex load of 2.25 oz of 4X5X7s. This set-up will absolutely reach out and touch them.

When the turkey got as close as possibleon the angle he was movingI got aimed (I use a low power scope) and cut on the diaphram. He stopped and ran his head up and I pulled the trigger. Bang, poleaxed him. I jump up and start running after him but he was barely flopping and very dead. When I finally got to him he was bleeding from his mouth and head but unfortunately he had flopped himself right into the middle of that mudhole. I had to wash the mud off him and took a dreadful picture immediatly afterward. Only after coming home after checking the bird was I able to dry him out enough for this picture.

I hesitate saying how far he was because I don't want to give the impression that I take reckless,wild shots at gobblers. I really spent a lot of time patterning this gun/load at various distance and I know what it will do and what it won't do. This turkey was on the edge ofthe distance limit, no doubt. What I had in my favor was a completely clean, unobstructed shot at a standing bird with his head stuck up high. I was very confident that I could kill him and did. If you really want to know the distance PM me and I'll tell you.

Life is good baby. Go team 21, The Last Gobble

Old 03-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mouthcaller is on the board

Good work FH and MC!
We're off to a great start!

I've got my tag but season is still a month away for me, I'll probably take some time off work but thinking late season instead of early cause the birds still haven't returned to the private properties that I have access to. I know of some good public land, but then again so does everyone else up here, I'd enjoy the hunts more on a friends farm where I don't have to worry about my gear or morons stalking my decoys.

Keep up the good work and have fun out there.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mouthcaller is on the board

Keep it up team awesome to be seeing birds getting smacked by my fellow team mates. I am so pumped for season now.

Quick Reply: **Team 21 "The Last Gobble"** 2009 CONTEST CHAMPIONS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.