Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 **Team 21 "The Last Gobble"** 2009 CONTEST CHAMPIONS >

**Team 21 "The Last Gobble"** 2009 CONTEST CHAMPIONS

**Team 21 "The Last Gobble"** 2009 CONTEST CHAMPIONS

Old 03-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Posting pictures

Cool that y'all got to mess with 'em a while anyway! No harm in learning... lessons learned like that tend to stick the best. Chin' up you two... feathers will be cut shortly I suspect!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Spike

Okay guys, I'm back from my week long hunting marathon. I have been hunting the local military reservation, which can be extremely crowded even though its almost 11 square miles. Well, It stormed opening morning so I did not get to go for the early morning. I attempted to strike up some action in the evening, but had no luck there. On Tuesday; however, my first owl hoot was answered by a gobble not 100 yards away. I set up and called and he answered nearly every call. After flydown he continued to gobble at everything yet walked steadily in the opposite direction of where I was. I figured he had hens with him that were not in the mood to share him.

So that evening I went and roosted an old sounding gobbler on Area 10 with one of my brothers (Dylan, the one that killed the triple beard.) He had no hens with him and was roosted not 10 yards off of a tank trail. We had it zeroed down to the exact tree he was in. So Wednesday morning rolls around, and we get out there super early before Dylan had to be at school and set up our decoys. As soon as it was light enough to tree yelp, we did, and he answered it. It was a sure thing we thought. We thought wrong. About 7 am the turkey busts from his roost tree and lands about 20 yards directly behind our setup and we could hear him sprinting in the other direction. We had no idea what happened. So I took Dylan on to school and came back to hunt the mid-morning. As I was preparing to leave empty handed again, an old fella comes walking down the trail to me and asks if I had been there early that morning. When I told him that it was me, he apologized and admitted that it was he who had busted our bird as he walked in from the opposite side of Area 10 and offered to give me a ride back to my truck which I accepted. I realize that other hunters messing up your hunt is a risk you take on public land, so I was not too upset and he was a really nice guy.

Thursday and Friday were both gobble-less days except for late Friday evening, we roosted another bird on Area 10. Saturday morning rolled around and we thought we had another sure thing in the bag, but as we drove to our parking area at the start of the tank trail, we passed by two other hunter at the next road over not 350 yards away. We set up well before daylight and called softly as the sun broke over the horizon, and the gobbler was fired up. But immediately after flydown he stopped gobbling and disappeared into the timber, as the other hunters busted him from behind... this was getting old.

So last evening i called the base's Hunt Track system and found an area that had zero other hunter signed out in for the following day, Area 7. Now area 7 is split into 3 smaller areas along the northern border of the reservation. This morning me, Dylan, and my other little brother Aaron parked on Area 7s western border and owl hooted. It was immediately answered by a gobble about 250 yards away. We moved 100 yards down the road and tried it again. This time two answered. the original one and one off to our left. We were in good shape and had the perfect setup spot in between the two toms. over the course of the next 20 minutes of yelping and cutting, we heard no less than 12 different gobbling turkeys within 300 yards of our setup. It was incredible if not magical. At 6:40 am a strutter and his wingman entered our view at about 45 yards directly in front of us. With vegetation preventing a good shot we let them walk right on in to 12 steps where me AND Aaron both scored IDENTICAL nice 2 year old easterns.

Species: Eastern
Beard: 9.4375 in.
Spur L.: 0.875 in.
R: 0.75 in.
Weight: 16.5 lbs.
Score: 51.625

And As promised, here are pics of Dylan's triple beard after the fact:

Old 03-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Spike

Congrats to you and everybody else.I't nice to be on the board already.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

i got one!! :lol:
decent 2yr old...pics and story to follow!!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Second bird for Team 21!

WooHooo!!!!!! I made up for yesterday's mess up.
I killed a nice 3yr old
Beard: 10" 1/4
Weight: 22lbs
Spurs: 1" 1/8

Dad will follow up with a detailed story and Pics!!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Spike

Default RE: Second bird for Team 21!

Oh yea that makes three
Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default What a weekend

Wow - what a great kick-off to the 2009 season! We are both exausted after getting up at 4:00 am yesterday and 3:30 today - hunting all day too.
My son Peter (doall hunter - age 13) took a really nice 3 year old turkey this afternoon at 6:35 pm. Pics below. This is his second turkey.

Following yesterday's "mishap" I decided to go to another place this morning. This is a club I belong to - 2,400 acres of cutover river bottom next to the Mississippi River in NW Tennessee. From scouting and previous experience I know where the birds tend to roost next to a big field that borders the river. We set up with B-Mobile and 4 hens in the dark and at flydown ended up with 6-8 strutters and 24 hens out in the field. Despite my urgent pleadings on the diaphram and Lon Trice zircote glass pot call the best I could do was three strutters at 50 yards - too far for the 20 gauge. Eventually they all bled off into the woods and we spend the rest of the morning trying, unsuccessfully, to find them.

Went back this afternoon and set with four hen decs in the fieldnear the roost site in hopes of catching them coming back. Got there at 2:30 pm and, after 3.5 hours of sweating in the bright sun, nothing. I was occasionally running a variety of mouth and custom pot calls, trying in vein to get a turkeys attention. At 6:20 pm, with our hopes dwindling, Peter (doall) pulled out his $20.00 Knight and Hale Glass Quenn and ran a yelp using one of my strikers and, Gobble-Gobble-Gobble about 60 yards behind us and to the right. We are set up on the edge of the field with woods behind us and I figured the turkey would come out to our right. I got him turned around and we could hear the turkey spitting and drumming to our right.

I'll summarize by saying that crazy thing spent 5-6minutes about 25 yards away (Peter was on my left and blocked from taking a shot) spinning around in a strut while drumming the entire time. I was scared that he would loose interest or smella rat so I finally made some soft yelps and got him to step out another 10 yards so the turkey would clear the weeds and Peter could get a shot. Peter drilled him with the Nitro 4X5X7 and 20 gauge Remmy 870 at 19 steps. Absolutely pole-axed him.

I was really proud of his composure, being able to remain still and quiet with a strutter so close drumming and spitting. That situation can unnerve an experienced turkey hunter. The bird was in view through the weeds but he had to waitforit to makethose last few steps before presenting a clear shot. He even clucked with his natural voice to get the turkey out of the strut before the shot.

I think this boy may just turn out to be a turkey hunter afterall.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Doall closed the deal

Doall Hunter
Eastern
NWTF 65 points
22.0 lbs
1.125" both spurs
10.25" beard

Wow - what a great kick-off to the 2009 season! We are both exausted after getting up at 4:00 am yesterday and 3:30 today - hunting all day too.
My son Peter (doall hunter - age 13) took a really nice 3 year old turkey this afternoon at 6:35 pm. Pics below. This is his second turkey.

Following yesterday's "mishap" I decided to go to another place this morning. This is a club I belong to - 2,400 acres of cutover river bottom next to the Mississippi River in NW Tennessee. From scouting and previous experience I know where the birds tend to roost next to a big field that borders the river. We set up with B-Mobile and 4 hens in the dark and at flydown ended up with 6-8 strutters and 24 hens out in the field. Despite my urgent pleadings the best I could do was three strutters at 50 yards - too far for the 20 gauge. Eventually they all bled off into the woods and we spend the rest of the morning trying, unsuccessfully, to find them.

Went back this afternoon and set up with four hen decs in the fieldnear the roost site in hopes of catching them coming back. Got there at 2:30 pm and, after 3.5 hours sitting the turkeys hadn't shown up. I was occasionally running a variety of mouth and custom pot calls, trying in vein to get a turkeys attention. At 6:20 pm, with our hopes dwindling,Peter pulled out his $20.00 Knight and Hale Glass Quenn and ran a yelp using one of my strikers and, Gobble-Gobble-Gobble, about 60 yards behind us and to our. We are set up on the field edge and I fcalculated the turkey would come out to our right. Peter first heard him spitting and drumming on our right and moments later I could see him in the edge of the field about 25-30 yards away in a strut.

I'll summarize by saying that crazy thing spent 5-6minutes about 25 yards away spinning around in a strut while drumming the entire time. I was scared that he would loose interest or smella rat so I finally made some soft yelps and got him to step out another 10 yards so the turkey would clear the weeds and Peter could get a shot. Peter drilled him with the Nitro 4X5X7 and 20 gauge Remmy 870 at 19 steps. Absolutely pole-axed him.

I was really proud of his composure, being able to remain still and quiet with a strutter so close drumming and spitting in plain view. That situation can unnerve an experienced turkey hunter. The bird was visiblethrough the weeds but he had to waitforit to makethose last few steps before presenting a clear shot. He even clucked with his natural voice to get the turkey out of the strut before the shot.

I think this boy may just turn out to be a turkey hunter afterall.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go Huntress - I knew you would come through.

Get me a score and some pics of the bird and measurements and I'll post the score on the "official" score thread.

We needa story too - every good turkey kill deserves a story!!!

Mouthcaller
Old 03-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Well done Weston!!!! Those public birds are tough. Way to stick it out. You guys had a fantastic hunt with great memories made.

I'll get the bird posted on the scoring site.

I know you aren't through yet - go get another one.

Mouthcaller

Quick Reply: **Team 21 "The Last Gobble"** 2009 CONTEST CHAMPIONS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.