Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 **Team 21 "The Last Gobble"** 2009 CONTEST CHAMPIONS >

**Team 21 "The Last Gobble"** 2009 CONTEST CHAMPIONS

**Team 21 "The Last Gobble"** 2009 CONTEST CHAMPIONS

Old 03-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Spike

Default RE: Team 21 NEW!!!

Welcome mobuckhunter79hope everything is well.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. I realy do like it Oh and a special thanks to you dad for the AWSOME gift!
Old 03-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

Weston

Does your season open Monday?

Are the turkeys gobbling down there yet? Your in S. Alabama, right?

They are still bunched up pretty good up here in W. Tennessee. The weather has been crazy, up and down. Couple days ago it was 82, next day the high was in the low 40s. Today cold, rainy.Two weeks ago we had 12.5 inches of snow in Jackson where I live. I'm telling you, its been nuts.

Tom
They are gobbling full throttle here in Southeast Alabama. Yes my season opens Monday, but the youth hunt was today and tomorrow. I took both of my little brothers this morning, and one of them killed a triple bearded gobbler with a 12.25 in., 8 in. and 5.25 in. beards. Had 1.25 in. spurs and weighed 21 lbs. I will try to get pics. The other one killed a massive coyote who came running into our calls as we were working a second bird. These two kids are the luckiest two hunters ever. I will be carrying them with me throughout the season as a good luck charm of sorts.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:23 PM

Was a great day in Missouri today. Ready for April 20th took my bow out today just to check the sites out and everything is right on think im gonna give the bow a shot at it this year and if they dont come in close enough then go to the good ole shot gun.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man they did get lucky Weston! Thats cool they both got stuff!

That would be cool mobuckhunter! I am goin with the bow for sure the first part of the season and hope to put one down.

I was out scouting all day on the mountain near my house where I have been seeing the gobblers and saw a couple dozen elk, 3 deer and a jack rabbit... No turkey but LOTS of sign! They're hangin around somewhere up there. I didn't try any calling to locate them, cause last year when I did pre season scouting and called, by the time turkey season was there they new the sound of my turkey call and wouldn't come into it.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

well hey guys!!
sorry that i've basically been mia...it's rare that i get extra computer time but i'm here now.
hope everyone is rarin' to go....i went scoutin' this morning and had at least 7 birds gobblin' non stop...it was beyond awesome...i know i'll have some company since it's public land but i'm hopeful to get at least one...or two....season opens saturday morning...it's going to be a busy week so if i continue to be mia dont' take it personally....and if y'all need me for something and can't reach me email me at [email protected] make sure you add something in the subject line referencing hnet and/or team 21....best of luck to everyone and y'all be safe.

rdhunter: hi!! thanks for the kind words...hope i can give you reason to be so confident.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

Weston

Wow - that triple-bearded turkey would probably have won this contest. I've seena few multiple-bearded gobblers in my time but I don't remember one with a 12.25 inch primary beardand another one over 8 inches. Incredible.I calculate it would score 97 points on the NWTF calculator, which is what we are using in this contest.

As team captain I am ordering you to get some pics of that thing posted on here so we can all stare at it in amazement.

Better yet, I may just throw you off the team and replace you with your little brother so the team gets the points from that bird

Mouthcaller
Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

HAHAHAHAHA Yeah you better get some pics uploaded Weston! You heard, Captins gonna replace you with your brother if you don't! HAHAHHA

The taxidermist I use, last year his son shot a 11inch bearded tom weighing around 22 pounds! I'm hoping for one of them gobblers to come in this spring for me! Isn't everyone? HAHA
Old 03-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Scoring a bird in the contest

Team

With the season finally upon us I thought I wouldsummarize the contest rules and procedures. I have pasted the complete rules below FYI below my "executive summary" of them.

Turkeys are scored for this contest using the NWTF formula (link provided below). Only one turkey per teammember is allowed, however, you can update your bird should you kill a better one. Still only one bird per person. The high team score will be determined by the total score achieved by each team using this one bird per member rule.

They will also determine an overall team score by combining the score of all turkeys killed per team, including multiple birds per teammember. There are also other catagories in the contest as described below

When you kill a bird you must post a picture of it in our team thread as follows:

1.Picture of the bird including pics of a ruler verifying the beard length and spur length.
2.Species of bird (Easterh, Rio, Osceola, Merriam).
3.Total NWTF score - I think it is a good idea to include each componant of the score in your description (example: Beard length 9.25", spur length 1.0 inchleft and 1.125 right, weight = 21.25 lb).

JW has created a official scoring thread with a very specific way of posting kills and scores. In order to eliminate confusion I volunteer to transfer thescores and informationof our team kills over to the official scoring thread.

They have also created a "Success Thread" and you are encouraged to post pics of your bird there also for everyone to see. This is not required, just encouraged.

Official contest rules
Scoring
You will score your bird according the NWTF Calculator

http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html

Only one bird per hunter is used for this contest to determine High Team standings. Multiple birds shot by any one hunter, the hunter has the right to upgrade his score as the highest score can be used to replace a previously registered harvested bird. New this year will be an Overall Team standing using all birds taken by any one team. We will also try to keep record for the best Rio, Eastern, Merriam, or Osceola so make sure you tell us the specie.
Only birds harvested during any given state’s Spring Season taken in an ethical manner under “Fair Chase” using either a Shotgun (Conventional or Black Powder) or Bow can be entered.

1.Team members must post a picture of their turkey to prove authenticity of the kill.
2. In the Picture add a ruler next to beard and each spur

3. A brief story along with statistics is welcomed.

If you don't know how to post pictures, ask your Team captain, or a member of your team that knows how to post pictures to help you out.
Be sure to say what specie, Rio, Eastern, etc. when, where, and what weapon you used for the kill when you post a picture.
If you aren't able to score your quarry for whatever reason, identify if your bird is a Hen, Bearded Hen, Jake, or Tom, and you can use this table if you're unable to score:
1. Hens 10 points,
2. Bearded Hens 15 points,
3. Jakes 20 points,
4. Gobblers 30 points.

No kills that were made using illegal means, weapons other than shotgun or bow, or using methods that are against state law will be counted, only legal kills will be counted.

Bearded hens are allowed to be posted on this contest, only if your state law allows the harvest of a Female turkey. Be sure to check and see if your state defines legal harvest as being "bearded" or if they differentiate by "sex" or "gender".
1. High Team Score - 1 bird per hunter/per team (can be your best bird if you do shoot more than one)
2. Overall Team Score - Overall of ALL birds taken by any team member on that team (Means enter all the birds you harvest we will keep track)
3. Hunter - Best bird overall as per NWTF scoring system
4. Best Rio
5. Best Eastern
6. Best Merriam
7. Best Osceola
8. Best Typical
9. Best Non-Typical ( Multiple beards and or spurs)

How to measure beards and spurs

Step 1
Weigh your bird in pounds and ounces and covert ounces to decimal form. (See WT Conversion Table Below)

Step 2
Measure your beard from the skin protusion to tip - use longest strands.
Convert all fractions to decimal form.See FR Table Below

Step 3[/b]
Measure each spur. Spurs must be measured along the outside center, from the point at which the spur protrudes from the scaled leg skin to the tip of the spur.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Posting pictures

Posting pictures to the site can be a problem if you haven't done it before. I provided this simple(hopefully)explaination of the process below. I use Photobucket.com to host my images.

1. You must upload yourdigital imageto a hosting service, such as Photobucket, Flickr, etc. Most of these sites offer free hosting by just registering.

2. Click on the "Add Image" button above (yellow square button on the far right directly above this text box)

3. Copy the URL for the picture as a Direct Link. Past the URL into the address line of the "Add Image" box

4. Click OK and, presto, you have got a picture in your post.

Mouthcaller

Quick Reply: **Team 21 "The Last Gobble"** 2009 CONTEST CHAMPIONS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.