Community

Team 14 "TURKAHOLICS"

Old 04-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Turkeys Strutting Yesterday!!!!

Man I finally was able to log in again.....Not sure what happened...Sounds like a couple of ya are having a great season so far...Congrats
Old 04-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

I might head out in the morning again...we'll see if I can get up for the 2.5 hr drive....
Old 04-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

Seven days to go!!!!!!!!!!
I watched my birds roost tonight and have my very first hunt planed out
If they roost next Sunday in the same area we are a go
Just as I was walking out a cow mooed and the Tom let out a great gobble
I am so stoaked
Later brothers
Treebeard
Old 04-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

The wait is killing me too. MO season opens up tomorrow but I'm not going to be able to go until Saturday......
Old 04-20-2009, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default More Birds Down

First birds were taken in SC with a friend of mine who is a preacher down there. He had never been turkey hunting and i called in some jakes almost to the end of our gun barrel. Well I have never shot or considered shooting a jake but it was a lot a fun and he was thrilled with the whole hunt so we let em have it. This was in SC so you get 5 tags there and we had been hunting in some nasty rainy weather for days also. Well we had a blast and now I got him hooked on turkey hunting. I didnt get to weigh them or anything because we cleaned em at a ladies house around the corner from where we killed em. Im the guy on the left. I shot a nice gobbler Friday back home in NC will post that one next but the way i read the rules is we get points for total birds also so I wanted to include these.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Nice NC Strutter Down!!!!

Here is a nice bird i killedback home in NCFriday, Apr 16.
Beard 10.5
L spur 1 1/16"
R spur 1"
Weight 18.2

Score Calculator says.....59.75

We have spotted one more turkey that will make this one look pitiful, hopefully I can get on him before season ends and upgrade the score. Happy Hunting to everyone and be safe.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Nice NC Strutter Down!!!!

congrats to all that have taken birds ! indiana opener is tomorrow
but its gonna be 36 degrees and a little windy [&o] been watching some birds and took my 15 yr old over the weekend [youth hunt] but couldn't seal the deal. i'll try to get my bird soon so i can get him and his older brother one.they won't get to go much because of school and now that i'm back to work i have to work weekends[:@] GOOD LUCK TO ALL !!!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys, I got out tues and weds , weds was a wash , due to the weather birds didnt want to talk.. but tuesday was incredible!! had a few turkeys really going off the roost. and we sat for about and hour and the gobbling was getting closer. then it was to our left and started to fade away.. so we got up and headed off to the right, another group was right above me .and at 30 yards on a ledge for jakes gobbled right in front of me and then backed off ledge , so we waited and went way above them.. waited and called them again,they were walking right too us, about 15 minutes of calling, they were about 20 yards, and I drew back, a single hen came over the "knob" followed by the first jake, then I saw the tom,, so I hoped he would follow them, and then the hen spooked, just enough to stop and turn around..and back over the knob they went.. I waited about 5 minutes, then crawled over the knob, they went down about 80 yards and vanished.. if I would have used my shotgun i would be on the board with that tom,, but i wanted to try it out with my bow, and it can be done!! will be out again here soon,we are supposed to get" spring like" weather for a change,so im sure that will help and I will keep u posted! congrats krabbie!
Old 04-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

WELL TEAM,HE'S NOT VERY BIG BUT I GOT MY TOM YESTERDAY ON OUR INDIANA OPENER!NO LUCK IN THE MORNING SO I WENT OUT ABOUT 4 PM WAS CLEARING OUT A SPOT TO SIT BY A TREE BY A DUSTING SPOT AND I LOOKED UP TO SEE A BIG RED HEAD STICKING OUT OF THE WEEDS BESIDE THE TRAIL !!! I WAS STILL STANDING UP SO UP COMES THE 11-87 AND BOOOOMMMM ! DOWN GOES TOMMY
HERES MY PICS AND SCORE. THE CHECK IN STATION MEASURED THE SPURS WITH A
MILLIMETER TUBE AT 11MM BUT MY RULER SAYS 1/2 INCH. IF ANYONE DISAGREES...SPEAK UP !
16 lbs.
6 1/2 in.beard
1/2 inch spurs
SCORE 16+5+5+13 = 39

Old 04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Lads
Well I didn't let ya down I got my very first Tom on my very first hunt!
I am so pumped I dont know where to start.
It is opening day today and my good friend Adam and I arrived around 5 :15am.
We watched the birds roost the night before so we headed to the same spot and set up a hen jake combo.
At about 5:45 a Tom let off a gobble and started the woods to come to life.
Not sure if we called to much but the hens were making a huge racket.
I watched a Jake fly out of the roost into a near by white pine and then a bird flew out and landed in a field to our left.
My leg started to cramp so I got on my knees and stretched it out.
Just as I did this Adam tapped me and said pick up your gun!
I thought he must mean to just get ready but then he pulled my pant leg and said shoot him, shoot him!
I looked to my left and a big Tom in full strut was coming right at the decoys.
I was so scared I was shaking like a school girl on prom night!
Adam noticed this and told me to take a deep breath and SHOOT THE @%$#^&$&^%* RIGHT NOW!!!!
He came out of the strut and I thought he was going to run so I rushed the shot.
I was shocked I hit it because I aimed all wrong but nailed him in the side .
I looked at Adam and smiled the biggest grin and he is slapping me and we are trying to celebrate but quietly!
That is really hard to do as you know.
We got up and went to look after a bit and when I got near I heard another gobble and we hoofed it back to the blind with my bird in hand.
It is also Adam's first Turkey hunt so I was hoping at some point during the day he would get his.
I was making so much noise behind the blind I never even saw the second Tom coming in as I was looking at my bird.
Adam said look at this as the big Tom came right for our decoys straight at us this time.
I watched thru a hole as Adam took aim and hit the Tom perfect right in the head.
We both jumped up and were jumping around as a bunch of turkey's to our right ran for cover.
We were both blessed with our first birds a hour into our first season.
My Tom was 22.5lbs with a 9.5 inch beard and both spurs measured 3/4 inch long.
Adam's Tom was 23lbs with a 10 inch beard and one spur 1 1/4 inch and the other1 1/8 of a inch.
Almost identical but he just beat me the bugger! But I am so happy for him and to have shared that with him.
I think this makes our scores 56.5 for me and 66.75 for Adam.
Let me know if this is wrong.
I will have pics on soon they are on Adam's camera so hopefully by tomorrow
Sorry to be long winded with my rookie hunt!
Take care my brothers and I hope you all are so fortunate
Later
Treebeard

Quick Reply: Team 14 "TURKAHOLICS"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.