Team 14 "TURKAHOLICS"

Old 03-12-2009, 04:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Team 14 Thread "No Name, but you will know our names when this is over"

Arjuna, you guys will do fine.. the main difference with turkeys and deer are that turkeys are vocal, when you start calling and a gobbler returns the call , he will be hooked, and Im hoping you will connect, Im sure gabe knows who Chuck Adams is, well when he started bowhunting he was unsuccessful for his first three years. I wish you guys a safe and enjoyable hunt. Im sure turkey or not , you will have some life long memories ,
Old 03-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Team 14 Thread "No Name, but you will know our names when this is over"

I like the apparent new team name, but who became our new dictator...???....

Pat, is that your leadership style?

Mcorso, thanks for the encouragement!

Old 03-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

No I am not trying to be a dictator. I had since no one voted on a name had picked that long one just to give us something. The new one wsa just to make it a little shorter. I was hoping that maybe someone would come up with something and that you all would agree on. Sorry if you took it as me just doing what ever I wanted. let me know what ya want.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Pat, actually I was just kidding. I should have put one of those smiley faces in the post or something. I like it. That's what leaders do. You made a decision...and a good one atthat.

Let's just pray we get to make the decision to shoot this weekend....It looks like rain.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

It's onlike donkey kong....

For my b-day, dad bought me a Primos B-mobile and she-mobile decoy set as well as aPrimos heartbreaker box call. I also got the nod from the little lady to buy an MO out-of-state turkey tag ($175) for the upcoming season (my family owns 1800 acres in MO that are loaded with turkeys). Next Saturday, I'm patterning my shotgun with 3 different loads at 50 yardsas well. Can't wait til April 20th
Old 03-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Turkeys Strutting Yesterday!!!!

Guys I saw 3 different flocks of turkeys yesterday morning riding around. It was 46 degrees , raining just alittleand pretty much a miserable day but the turkeys were out!!! First flock of 19 turkeys and 3 were strutting. Second flock of about 30-40 turkeys and the last flock about 25 turkeys and looked like 5 or 6 birds strutting in this flock. I was very pumped up to say the least. I was surprised to see all this activity as dreary as the weather was. The last flock was close enought i thought i could get a pic with my cell phone but they were gone by the time i got my truck turned around. Hope everyone is doing well and counting down the days til opening day.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Turkeys Strutting Yesterday!!!!

hey gang, I was up north all weekend, and met with a buddy of mine,and we scouted a area he hunts for deer and found some sheds and located a handful of birds, in a field , also found a fox or coyote den where turkey feathers were pulled into and around the den opening. im headed to my spot this weekend to scout around and locate some birds, good luck to all you guys

Old 03-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

Well arjuna how'd ya make out???????????????? I just got home from my turkey grounds as well. They haven't moved in yet. I did however get about an 8 acre field mowed and my buddy got it all disced up and ready for food plot planting.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Allright guys, who among us is artistic? We need someone to come up with a team sticker. I'm not really that artistic or I'd make one. Since we are the "Turkaholics", I was thinking about either a turkey drinking a brewsky (or a bottle of wild turkey) or a hunter throwing back a bottle of whatever and the bottle be in the shape of a turkey. What do you guys think?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Alright...here's the story. After Gabe's amazing baseball start, we headed to Alabama. We got there a little late and barely had time to shoot a couple of loads at an old icecream bucket to make sure the gun was true. I took Gabe, his best friend Brenson, and his dad to a field that I knew the birds liked. They often came through this field on the way to the roost. It was drizzling rain off and on all day.

I set some decoys out in the field and then seperated from Brenson/David. We sat about 100 yards apart facing the same field. (As dads we would be in control and were really just hoping to roost a bird).

We didn't see a thing, but did hear them fly up into the big trees on the creek bottom. We left at dark. I went ahead and set up the decoys on the other side of the field close to the creek and a couple of hours later, I went into the dark woods on the other side of the creek to set up my blind for Gabe and myself. That way David/Brenson would be on the opposite side of the creek that the birds roosted on.

At daybreak we heard 4 gobblers. One was right over me and Gabe. About 45 minutes of a turkey party in the woods and BOOM. David/Brenson shot one with a 410! 25 yards dead as a hammer.

double beard- 9" and 6", 1 1/4 spur and 1 3/16 spur, 20 lbs....wish we could count that one!

Anyway, Gabe got tired of waiting and wanted to go see his friend's bird. I cautioned him to wait, but he insisted. we got out of the blind and spooked the gobbler that was headed our way. I saw him in the edge of the road at 30 yards. Gabe began to hit his head with the palm of his hand. I told him "Don't get mad...just learn the lesson."

It was hard for him to be happy, but he is, I think. He wanted a bird himself, but to see one, have 4 gobble and then to help his daddy clean one was probably a good "first turkey hunt." I reminded Gabe that I set the hunt up and that in some way, that was "our bird" too. David and Brenson don't really turkey hunt and would never have gotten it without our help to set them up. The land was Brenson's grand daddy's, so I feel like I secured an open invitation!

I'm going again on Friday.

Quick Reply: Team 14 "TURKAHOLICS"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.