Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors >

Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors

Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors

Old 04-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors

Well guys we have another one for the board. I shot one at 6:40 this morning. I will write up a story today when I get a chance. I do have some pics to post now. It wasn't the biggest bird around, maybe if I am lucky I will get a bigger one later on. I still will have another Iowa tag for our 4th season and I will be hunting in WI in a couple of weeks.

Here are the measurements: 18.5#, 9.5" beard and both spurs were 3/4". I used the scoring calculator one the NWTF site and came up with 52.5.

Let me know if I need to post pics of the measurements, because I do have them.

Dan

Old 04-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go dtk913
We have three officially on the score board now, you guys are doing great.
Let's hope the rest of us including myself can get some good scores up and become the retruning CHAMPS next year.
Congrats to you dtk913 on a nice big bird and thanks for helping ourteam, we have a good chance of winning this if everyone scores 52 or better.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Good job on the nicebird dtk913. How many can you get?

Thanks RDHunter "we have a good chance of winning this if everyone scores 52 or better."I was just hopping to get something and now it has to be 52 or better. So much taking the first one I see, if I see anything.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: whatisup02

Good job on the nicebird dtk913. How many can you get?

Thanks RDHunter "we have a good chance of winning this if everyone scores 52 or better."I was just hopping to get something and now it has to be 52 or better. So much taking the first one I see, if I see anything.
Oh come on buddy ... I didn't mean to put a minimum on the score of any bird.
How do you think I feel, I'm feeling the pressure too ... but look at it this way... the average eastern bird is between 18 to 23 pounds.
Unless it's a jake , those might be a little smaller but it's easy to tell the diffrence betwwena jake and a mature tom just look at the tail feathers , three to five feathers in the center of the fan will be taller than the rest ...along with a visable short beard.
All we have to do is make sure that theones we shoot at have a ground dragging beards and a full even fan , you can do it . I got confidence in you.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:42 AM
Fork Horn

Whatisup,

Here in Iowa we have 4 seasons. We can get a tag for 1st, 2nd or 3rd season and one more for 4th season, so two birds. I am going to try WI this year also. My buddy has some ground near the town I grew up in we are going to try.

Dan
Old 04-20-2009, 03:19 AM
Fork Horn

Alright, here is how it happened. On Saturday my dad wanted me to help him set up a blind he could hunt out of this week after I went back home. So we went out and set up the blindabout 15 yards off of a logging road, looking down the road. This road runs along the top of a pretty long ridge in a hardwood timber area. We were about 100 yards from where the road turns and starts heading downhill. I picked this area, because it has been hot all year. A buddy ofmine killed one there on Wednesday, and Friday morning me and my 8 year old daughter came so close to taking another one.

SoSunday morning my dad decides we should both go to the blind and he will try to film me(he really doesn't care if he shoots one or not). Wewere all set up thereabout 5:25. It was very foggy, but it did lift pretty fast after sun-up. The fog kept them in the tree a little longer than normal and the didn't even start gobbling until 6:00. We they did we found out we were in business. We had 4 gobblers along a ridge about 150 yards in front of us, 2 gobblers less than 100 yards behind us ( I think the heavy fog saved us on those two, because we had to have walked almost right under them) and 1 more off to our left and down a draw about 200 yards.

They only gobbled for about 10 minutes and then hit the ground. The gobblers behind us would answer my tree yelps, but the others wouldn't. This didn't surprise me because they have been roosting with hens all season andnot answering any calls. When they hitthe ground the two behind us came prettyquick. I cluked and purred a little bit, but they hung up off to our right and stayed there the whole time. I could hear them drumming, but never did see them. I had the windows on that side of the blind closed.

It wasn't long and a hen came down the road toward our setup. Our setup was my Pretty Boy and Girl and another foam hen decoyon the logging road. The hen got to about 30 yards and then just wandered in circles eating. I saw about 4 more hens and the gobblers were all screaming and coming our way, although theywere still out about 100 yards and we hadn't seen them yet. This is when I put my calls away. All I was going to do with them is screw something up. Eventually the the gobblers started to come down the road. Three of them started to come. The lead one, of course, hangs up at about 40 yards behind a tree. That lasted about 5 minutes (maybe it was only 1 minute, but it seemed like 5). Finally the fourth gobbler came and he just went right by the rest of them and kept coming. that brought them all in. At about 30 yards the started to drop down off the road. The first two went pretty quick, but the third on stopped for a second and gave me a shot. My 3" Nitro did the trick, he dropped like a ton of bricks.

It was probably the most action I have ever had all at once. Seven gobblers total and 6 of those within in 50 yards on two sides of me, not to mention the 5 or 6 hens that were in the mix. It was very exciting and I got to share it with my dad. We didn't get anything much filmed, he was afraid he was going to get us busted. No big deal I don't think I need a video to remember this one.

I will post a few pics. I can never get more than one in a message, so I will probably have several posts. Sorry.

Dan

Old 04-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Fork Horn

This is me and my little ones. My daughter has been going turkey hunting with me for 4 years.I first took her out when she was 5, she isnow 8. My boy just doesn't quite have the patience yet for turkey hunting. He is much better at just shooting his pellet gun and doing some squirrel hunting. He is only 5.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 AM
Fork Horn

This is my my hunting partner, my dad.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great story dtk913 and nice pictures too, you are truely blessed to have two wonderful children and a great Dad to hunt with.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

RD,

The official team standings have only one bird for Team #12.

Quick Reply: Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.