Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors >

Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors

Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors

Old 04-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors

Had a chance at the quad but it didnt happen. I went to my usual lookout spot and saw 2 big toms strutting in the area he has been in. I figured it was him and the other tom he has been running with so I drove around to the other side of the property and snuck in between them and their usual roost. At about 740 pm I saw them walking towards me strutting with 4 hens. They were headed my way until the neighbors started shooting a pistol, which made them come out of strut and look over that way. After the guy emptied a few clips the birds had enough and moved down to my right and roosted about 200 yards from me. I dont really blame the neighbor or anything but, man! Talk about bad timing to shoot off the gun! I had to leave that night but I will be back after him weather permitting on Wednesday. If it storms, it will have to be saturday before I can get him. SOOOOO CLOSE!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg,

It sounds like a matter of time before you and the quad have a showdown. Good luck.

My daughter shot her a two year old tom on Saturday. Now I have to get one in front of my son.

I will be back in action trying to fill my second tag this weekend.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

My first day out wasn't all that great but it wasn't bad either( any day is a good day to be in the woods ), I got out there about 10:00 am cause I had a Dr.'s appointment at 8:00.
Once I had my blind set up and my decoys out I setteled in and let out a couple of soft yelps, heard a gobble not to far away so I clucked one more time and another gobble was heard.
So I put the call away and had my bow ready, it wasn't long when the bird made his apperence, he came into a clearing about 60 yards in front of me.
He look up and saw my decoys and came in a little closer and started to fan out, thats when I saw that he was only a jake so I lowered my bow.
Wasn't long after that a lonesome hen walked right by my blind and checking out the decoys, she didn't get spooked by them but kept her distance and then went on her merry way.
I got eight more days of hunting and the time off work to do it so I'll be back out tomorrow when the thunderstorm stop and try again.
Heres a picture of my set up earlier today ... enjoy

Old 04-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Team #12,

How many are still hunting and how many are done. Only three kills? You guys hunting?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

I am going again here is Iowa this Friday-Sunday, and then next weekend in Wisconsin.

Dan
Old 04-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea ... I'm still hunting , just got home from my second day out.
It was raining most of the day, I got cold and little wet didn't any birds until the sun came out most of them hens and a few jakes.
I'll be hunting though out the week up until May 6th, thats when my season ends I hope the other members are trying as well.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

my season doesnt end until may 17. i will be hunting may 8-10 and may 14-17...i cant huntthis weekend i have family coming into town from VA. i took my bird last year on may 8th hopefully lighitng strikes twice. i would have hunted this past weekend but had caught a bad head cold from hunting in the rain opening morning[:'(].
Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Well I am sorry but I had no luck. I think if I had some decoys I would have got one. I would call and they would respond to me (witch was soooo cool) They would stop about 75-100 yards out and then just leave.
Two jakes came in to about 50 yards but that is still to far of a shot for me. I was just siting on the ground by a tree the whole time I was hunting (no ground blind). At first I was starting to think they could see me, but then I had a hen come from behind me and she got about 6-8 feet from me (again very cool). Just watching them strut was all I needed for me to know I will be back next year. This time with some decoys.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't give up yet buddy , don't you got untill the 6th of May ?
Get a set of hen decoys and try again , or see if you can barrow some from some friends.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:55 AM
Fork Horn

Its not that I dont have any more time to go hunting.

Quick Reply: Team #12 Thread Wingbone Warriors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.