Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team 10 Thread -- "Flock Busters" >

Team 10 Thread -- "Flock Busters"

Team 10 Thread -- "Flock Busters"

Old 05-22-2009, 03:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Team 10 Thread

Hi guys, I've got a bit of catching up to do here. First off, let me say good luck to anyone still out hunting! Hope things work out great for you!
I've hunted in SD. and MN. since I last checked in and I was fortunate enough to have taken 3 more longbeards. One will bump up our score a bit. In SD. I took 2 gobblers on the last day of a 4 day hunt. Took a tom in the am. that scored out at 43.875 and then another tom in the pm that scores out at 58.875. These birds are both Merriams.Both the toms were henned up. The first bird I got the whole group to come into the decoys with a hen leading the way. Shoot that bird at around 17 yards. The second bird I called away from 5 hens. He covered a couple of hundred yards to get to me. I took him across a creek at about 40 yards. That SD. was cold, wet, windy, and muddy!
My MN. bird, an Eastern,I took on the first morning of my hunt. Had 2 toms fly down off roost about 100 yards out, but they hung up just out of gun range strutting back and forth in the fieldin front of my hen decoy for 10 minutes or so and then got bored or something and wondered off. I hate that when they hang up on you! Around 30 minutes later another tom comes in from the opposite end of the field, sees the decoy and comes right on in. Now that bird had the right temperment! He made it to within 30 yards of the decoy when I put the hammer down on him! Here's his stats.
25 lbs. 2 oz.
9 5/8" beard
1 1/8" left spur
1 5/16" right spur
Score 68.75
http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj254/paintbrusher/?action=view&current=P1010130.jpg
Old 05-22-2009, 04:46 AM
Fork Horn

Nice going guys!
I've been out twice this week including this AM. I had either a caller or a pair of actual owls about 75 yards away this AM. About 4:30 they start hooting and must have hooted about 50 times in 15-20 minutes. No gobbles to that sound at all. I got out the glass pot call (note, complete rookie caller, it showed up Tuesday,lol) i hit the call softly about 5 times, bingo, gobble response right away. i put the call down. then there were what seemed like two gobblers for about 20 minutes maybe 75-100 yards through the woods. i responded once in that time. Then it seemed like the gobbles were going away, again, no more calling. Then I heard a bunch of calling from a hen, not sure what you call the sounds, I would say mostly clucks and cackles with a couple raspy yelps. These sounded closer and then a gobble that was fairly close. My first visual was at about 50 yards coiming from the woods into the corner of a field, white head, could not see the body because of a slight hump between us. Maybe 5 seconds and he(assumed a tom) was over the hump. Then a hen came in and walked past at 30 yards. i kept hearing gobbles but nothing close. I only had maybe 20 minutes left to hunt before work, so I called a bit (sounded like crap, lol). Low and behold that hen started clucking and came back to within 10 yards for about 15 minutes before she walked off. That was it, no more sounds or sights, and i hiked out and went to work. Fun morning, hope I can get out again this year, but a bunch of work to do, best chance to hunt will be tomorrow AM.
Later
Dandbuck
Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I got out again sat and Sun AM and had the chance to sit for a few hours each morning. did not hear a thing, and packed up the blind. Boating season is here and I had a sandbar to sit at with the kids and wife. Did manage to take a quick BBF run on the way back so all is good. Sorry to not get another on the ground, but it was a learning experience for my first year. i was glad to get one down with my bow, and I will be back at it in the fall and next spring. Thanks for the advice!
Dandbuck
Old 05-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Updated, and i still need addresses from alot of you guys.

Also if you have a score for me to post or an address to send me feel free to email or PM me
Old 05-29-2009, 07:33 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Sure had alot of fun in the contest, we made a good run. huntnteen hope all is goes well with your dad, who knows maybe we will be on the same team next year too. I am leaving in the morning to go bear hunting in Canada. I will let you guys know how I do.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck DTC

So i now have the stickers, but only have a couple addresses. Please send me your address in a PM or e-mail at [email protected] if you want to receive a sticker, also i still have some left over from last year if y'all want some
Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ok i have Dandbucks, Mastv, and DTC's addresses so i am mailing their stickers today