Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team 10 Thread -- "Flock Busters" >

Team 10 Thread -- "Flock Busters"

Community

Team 10 Thread -- "Flock Busters"

Old 04-04-2009, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 10 Thread

Thats awesome DTC. Well I'm typing this cause I am about to go out for the first time this season, just me and my dad, to a property that has sooooooo many turkeys that some of you guys woulldn't even comprehend or dream about.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:44 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

We were in birds all day and I couldn't getmy 6 year olda shot. We set up on a tom with 5 hens first, moved on to the next group 5 toms, 4 jakes, and 20 some odd hens. Shocking that we couldn't get them to work. Found 2 toms and a jake, thought they were by themselves, 12 hens with them. Had a tom and 4 hens come in tonight, spooked from B-mobile (throw that !#$* thing in the trash.) Found 12 hens and 2 toms in a field and got in front of them. Hens flew to the roost trees from 150 yards in the field. Nothing like stressing old dad out. Weather is supposed to suck on Sunday. Maybe we can score in the morning. Our birds aren't ready to work yet that is for sure.

huntnteen, just knew you would have some pics for us tonight. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I blew it for us yesterday guys, got schooled by a wise ol bird. Got on a nice 3 year old bird about 20 minutes before any light at all in some thick fog. It was the same bird I had worked for 3 days during opening week, roosted in the same area. I listened to him gobble for a while then hit him with some suuuper soft tree calls, clucks and soft short yelps. He gobbled his head off at them so I shut up after a few series of calls. After the fog started to thin out about 45 minutes later and the sky was brightening up a good bit, I gave him some more soft clucks and yelps, then hit him with a little bit of a fly down cackle. That fired him up and I knew he was coming, it was perfect. A few minutes later he hammered closer and I could tell he was on the ground, and right in front of me but out of sight. He hit it a few more times, still straight out front. Not a minute after the last gobble, a crow sounded off right above me and he hammered about 30 yards directly to my dadgum right! He had gotten on the road above me where I couldnt hear him and flanked me. I knew I wouldnt be able to hear him coming bc it was still pretty wet, but I didnt prepare well enough for him to come that far around me that fast. I saw him top the hill coming my way at an angle, looking like he would walk right on top of me. Just as he was about to walk behind a huge pine to give me that chance to swing, he stuck that old ugly head straight up and went to clucking, BUSTED. Somehow he picked me out and knew it wasn't right. He started easing off pretty quickly so I swung around and fired off and missed him. I went to pump another shell in, and my dad gum strap was in the way....which I knew NOT to do but didnt think about it I guess, he had me too excited haha. After I moved the strap he was about 50 yards out running in the sticks but I fired another one at him for the heck of it, haha. He'll live to be a hundred now, haha. Oh well, it happens, and I definitely learned a little bit for next time. That was the best chance a lot of people will ever get to shoot a turkey, haha, and I blew it!!! Wont go again til next weekend, so hopefully they'll still be talking. Sorry fellers, he out smarted me! Hope teen had better luck!!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:19 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I think I have a die hard turkey hunter on my hands. My 6 year old wouldn't shoot a jake this morning, we had him at 25 yards for about 5 minutes. I was urging him to shoot and he informed me that he was waiting for a tom. I know when I first started hunting I was just looking for a legal bird.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Well Guys, I'm out of here early friday morning on my way to Kansas for a 3 day hunt for Rio's. I think they are a cross between Rio's and Merriams tho. Doesn't really matter. What matters is that I FINALLY get to go hunting!! I'll do my best to put a bird or 2 down on the ground for the team. I'll fill everybody in when I get back.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well i didnt get anything Saturday, her some gobbling on the roost, then after they flew down they shut up. After a hour i had two hens sneek up on me then after another half hour i had five more hens sneek up on me. My dad walked up and said he was going to look and see if there are any turkeys where we heard them calling in the morning, and where they hang out all the time, nothing was there, so he walked back to me and i decided to walk around the mountain and see if i can get any answers, got no answers, so we decided to call it quits, seeing asi only had a few hours to hunt.

Were going to try to go to a different place this coming saturday, then back to the place we already visited for a late-morning hunt sometime during the week, then on the 18th im going to the property my parents went to on opening day, to see if i can score on a turkey or a pig

Good luck to everyone who is going out in the field
Old 04-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

My season starts April 20th. Plenty of nice birds around!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys; Got this Kansas Rios on the last day of my 3 day hunt. The gobblers where hen up big time. If this bird hadn't shocked gobbled at a passing truck on a muddy gravel road, he'd still probably alive today! Got within 50 yards of him after he shock gobbled and soft called his hen towards me with him in tow. At 35 yards I lowered the boom!
Weight 21 lbs 9 oz.
Beard 10"
Left and Right spur 1 1/8"
Score 64.0625
Old 04-16-2009, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

SWWWWEEET!! Way to go paintbrush! My season starts next week wednesday, 5 day season. Starting out with the bow, we'll see.
Dandbuck
Old 04-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet bird Paintbrush.

Well guys im going at it again for a late-morning/afternoon hunt on the same place as last week, hopfully i can find them gobblers today

Quick Reply: Team 10 Thread -- "Flock Busters"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.