Community

Team 3: Sunrise Demise

Old 04-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 3 Thread

No need to explain Fingerz, I understand. If you want to spook all your birds before season opens, that's up to you. Just kidding. Hearing all of that gobbling probably fired you up, didn't it? Who cares if they were jakes. I also like to film before season opens and during season.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

haha.. I just wanted to clarify HOW I called and how everything went down.. I didnt want to give the impression I go out and call in birds prior to the season just for something to do..

Shoot.. I have been fired up since february..
Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats awesoem fingerz could u show the video to us?!?!?!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to have to find a DV cord so that I can download it to my computer. Itisnt a digital camera so the video isnt on a card. When I get a chance to get the appropriate cord I will definitely upload it. All those jakes came in gobbling the entire time, one time all of them gobbled at no more than 15 yards. It was great. I'll look into getting the cord.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tomorrow is the season opener. I'm heading to west Texas this afternoon to hog hunt this evening and to roost some birds. I talked to the landowner,( my wifes boss), last night. He was out there 2 weeks ago and counted 37 birds. I likee! i'll post pics and a score Monday morning!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Journeyman, where are you hunting in Texas? Do you know of any decentpublic hunting in north or east Texas? Even though my hunt went great, I'm not going back to south Tex. this season. Good luck to you.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Standing are posted in the main turkey contest forum. Thanks to superstrutter we are currently THIRD for overall score.

Just a heads up.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guy's, it's been tough hunting on my property in LA. so far. I haven't even heard a bird since it opened March 28th. I still have hope though. I have been seeing a few hens, so I'm hoping at least one longbeard will wander my way eventually. This is the first time since I've turkey hunted on my property that I haven't heard at least onegobbler by this time of year. I'm not giving up though. I'll be off to Tennessee next week.Hopefully the weather will be decent next week. I'm glad I'm not there this week. The weather has been crazy this Spring so far. Good luck to all of you.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:56 PM

Here is a photo story of the highlights of my trip.

Friday we left out at noon and didnt roll into camp until after dark due to traffic in Nashville and Birmingham.

Saturday I sat up on a ridge based on last springs roosting patterns and waited....at daybreak, the closest gobble was well over a half mile away...so I grabbed the bow and hoofed it up and down these cliff like ridges to make it over. Got on his ridge, struck him up and got him to respond two to three times, and sat back and waited for him to come...as he was closing the distance, a flock of 5 hens intercepted him about 100 yards out, and off they went. No more gobbles the rest of the day, which I spent daylight to dark in the woods, minus 1 hr for lunch and to hang the trail cam. During lunch break, we drove around to check one of the 1/4 acre cleared food plots, as we drove up to one we were stunned at the 30-40+ hogs in the field...I dumbly reached for the shotty instead of the bow and took off after them...I closed the distance to 45 yards simply by walking straight across the plot at them, they just never happened to look up until then....they scrammed in a hurry...I was an idiot on multiple levels. Had I grabbed the bow, I had a 45 yard broadside feeding shot at a huge sow, OR if I had crept around the edges from inside the pines, I could have got to mere feet likely.

Sunday we got up and I sat on the ridge where I struck up the bird the morning before. He gobbled once, I moved to within 100 yards, and nestled in, shotgun in hand this day. Just as I let out a soft tree yelp he fired off at me, and then the sky opened up...it began to POUR, and I had nothing but an UA shirt on under my vest. I refused to retreat to the truck, so I stuck it out. After 1-2 hours of silence ( I was waiting to hear/see him fly down), I finally go back to the peak of the ridge to ask dad what happened...he told me the gobbler flew from tree to tree on down the ridge throughout the morning and eventually flew out of sight, How I missed that I still don't know. I stuck it out in the rain the rest of the day, minus 1.5 hrs for lunch and trailcam time/hog scouting. Not a SINGLE gobble after fly down on either day, tell me that ain't frustrating.

Monday I had a better feeling...until I walked outside to 25 degree colder temps and 25+ mph wind gusts. I head out and sat one ridge over where we heard some birds fly up...I surprisingly heard a gobble real early, which confirmed they were on the same ridge as I. I slowly worked into this bird, and got him hot and heavy over the next 50 minutes. He was actually closing the distance, then he just went silent. I had bow in hand nestled against a HUGE oak, so I sat back and waited, returning the silent treatment...after 1 hour, I couldn't take it, I had to move on and try something else..I got impatient basically. I began to pack up my calls into my vest, and as I began moving I see movement in the corner of my eye. I look up to see A turkey flying off from about 50 yards out through some dense pines. Don't know what it was, but I can't help but wonder if I had held still if it would have been that old tom coming to look for an arrow to deliver his death. We finally tucked tail, returned to camp to pack, and headed for home.

No turkey killed. 600 acres, and only 2 toms gobbling total. Did see alot of animals though. Saw 40-50 hogs total, a few hen turkey, alot of deer, two armadillos at mere feet, tons of big owls, a bobcat at 20 yards, and a few other cool things. I sucked at getting pics of the things I wanted to. I did get a trail cam photo of a buck carrying both sides still on Monday morning, a Dandy for southern AL at that. I also reconfirmed my beliefs from last year that the mosquitos are decendents of song birds down there...ridiculous, but the thermacell was a god send, and I only got one bite all weekend.

10 days till our kick off here...and now for the pics.

Quick Reply: Team 3: Sunrise Demise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.