Team 3: Sunrise Demise

Old 04-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 3 Thread

Your second beard actually looks longer than 8" in the picture... Once you let me know about the bird, I'll post the score in the official thread.. Hell of a bird!
Old 04-20-2009, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

each beard is actually 9" long... im away at school again so i had my dad recheck it... but he didnt take any pics.

So my final score would be Your score is 20.125 + 10 + 10 + 36 = 76.125
Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a great bird. That bird will help our teamout a lot. The weather is supposed to be perfect here for the last week of my season in LA. Hopefully I will be able to contribute another bird. I may also be going back to Texas the first weekend in May. I just can't get enough of turkey hunting.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice...

ENTERED.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Well I finally got my first bird this afternoon. Saturday, I took my hunting buddy Rod, and his friend from Indiana Jeff out to my hunting spot. We didn't hear a peep all morning until a few shots that sounded pretty close, so I went to investigate. I didn't find anyone around except a decent gobbler and a couple of hens. I didn't have any deeks with me and couldn't get him to leave the hens. Had a 65-70 yd. shot, but with my muzzleloader I didn't want to wound a nice bird.
That afternoon, we had a nice Tom come our way and I filmed Jeff hammering him after he pecked and flogged Rod's new DSD jake decoy. An hour later, 4 jakes enter the field and Rod nailed the biggest one with my ML. Sunday, we didn't hear or see anything as it rained most of the day. They had to leave about 10 am and I went on a seek and find mission. I located 2 gobblers and a few jakes, but I couldn't get any closer than about 100 yards in an wide open pasture field. I looked like a soaked rat by the time I got back to the truck. Stayed home that afternoon.
This morning I didn't get to the blind until after 8 and before 9 I had lone Tom slip into the cornfield, but he didn't show any interest in the decoys. I heard a gobble over the next hill and went find him. There were 3 toms, 3 jakes and a few hens across the way from me. The jakes and a couple of hens spotted me first and ran over the next hill. The toms and a hen were lagging behind and didn't notice me but were confused by the others sudden departure. They just stood there and finally turned around and started back the way they had come from. I tried to outflank them but I lost sight and couldn't ever find them. I ended up back at the blind and they were out in front at about 125 yards. Two more gobblers enter the field, but none of them would heed my calls and I didn't have decoys out. Those 2 finally circled the long way around me and left. The first 3 followed that hen out of sight. I got a phone call and had to leave.
Rod met me that afternoon. He brought his bow along and I switched to my shotgun. He wanted to try to take a jake with a guillotine broadhead as I videoed. First we saw 2 toms and a jake at the far corner of the field, but they had other plans. Next came 3 jakes on a string right to the decoys, but the never even stop to check out the DSds and strolled right on by as we were shocked. Next 2 toms appeared and it looked very promising until they hung up about 100 yds out. Eventually they left form whence they came. Very strange. Out of the blue 5 jakes come from behind us on the left and Rod gets ready for the shot. I filmed him as he cleanly missed at 13 yds. The jakes all jumped up in the air and started to scatter as we tried to coax them back. They started to wander off and then stopped just short of woods. I was filming the whole time and then Rod motioned to me and there a tom appeared from behind me on my right at only 5 yards and heading for the DSD jake. I picked up my gun to get ready for the shot when Rod asked if he could shoot him with his bow. I relented and let him take the shot. He nailed him right in the chest and the arrow bounced off of him. As the bird started to take off I hammered him with aload of hevishot #5s. I guess good things come to those that wait. Rod was disappointed, but was glad I gave him first shot. Sad to say when he took over the camera, he pushed the wrong button and the camera was on pause the whole time. After we took pictures, I found that Rod had hit him in the wing. He is switching back to regular BHs next time. So here are the results.

Eastern
21 lbs. 4 oz
10 1/2" beard
both spurs were 7/8" long

21.25+ 21+ 8.75+ 8.75= 59.75

Waiting on Rod to email me the pictures. Sorry for the long post, but it has been an eventful 3 days. We will be back out there tomorrow.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice job Bandhunter! Yours is entered as well!

My very first post of this thread has been edited and updated with our new score and individual largest birds. Good job fellas! I'll be out this saturday and I cant wait.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, I went out this afternoon and got this bird. My first setup didn't work because the mosquitoes drove me out. I forgot to bring my thermacell and spray. Thank you skeeters for making me move. I set up at my 2nd spotand on my first yelp he gobbled. Fifteen minutes later he was down for good. Got him around 5:30.

Weight 20.10
Beard 10.5"
R spur 1"
L spur1 1/8" (1.1250)
Score: 62.875

Old 04-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another picture

Old 04-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang superstrutter, you're keeping us in the game! Great work.

ENTERED.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your turn is coming fingerz. Unfortunately my season isjust about done. I know there is another bird around my property. He is being very quiet and stubborn.I'll be hunting him this weekend. I'm about out of time to get him, but that's fine if I don't. It's been a pretty danggood season either way.

Quick Reply: Team 3: Sunrise Demise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.