Team 3: Sunrise Demise

Old 04-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 3 Thread

Interesting story Trevor, and very nice pictures. Sounds like a successful hunt even though you didnt come home with a bird.
Better luck next time.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Finally I get to go outside and hunt. It is SOOOOOO nice to be able to go out and sit and watch the animals.
I went out tonight and took a friend who had never been turkey hunting. To say we had a good hunt would be a HUGE understatement. With the exception of harvesting a bird it was the best hunt I have ever had. I saw things that I have never seen in the turkey woods before. We had a hen come in in full strut (she almost got an arrow as I thought she was a male). We had about 10 turkeys come in later with one in strut. Several were gobbling. Two were fighting with there necks wrapped around one another. After all the others left they were still going at it in the field so I tried to walk up to them. I got within 35 yards! They were in the middle of a cornfield and I walked right up to them. They separated and when I went to draw back my release came unclipped . But it was still incredible being able to walk up to them like that. Lucky for them I wasnt hunting with my shotgun or I would be having me some turkey tomorow.
Well I will be going out Wednesday night again and I hope that a quarter of the stuff that went on tonight happens then. By the way, my friend is now hooked
Old 04-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got my kansas license and tags downloaded and printed. I can't stand the wait. I won't be hunting up there until May 4th-7th. I don't think I'll be able to make another trip here in Texas.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been out a couple evenings bowhunting. Dont start gun hunting til later. I will be going out this evening. I have seen birds every time just havent been able to get them in close enough.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well GOOD LUCK BR!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tennessee wasn't successful for me. I hunted Mon.-Thurs. and heard only four different gobblers on two different places. The birds were henned up bad. They would gobble some on roost and then of course go silent soonafter flydown. We didtalk to a couple birds for a little while after flydown, but they were with hens and wouldn't budge.I hunted private and public land. We almost closed the deal on a longbeard on the public land on Thursday afternoon. I was trying to help my friend get his first bird. If I would have been hunting alone, I would have killed the longbeard, that is if I would have shot straight, but that's how it goes sometimes. I did finally hear a gobbler near my property in LA. the day before I left for Tenn., so I'm a little optimistic about getting one before my season ends next weekend.It's hard to believe I have only week left to turkey hunt. Some of you haven't even started yet. Good luck to all of you.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice.. Keep at it.. my season starts in a few days..

how have the rest of you done so far this year? I've only heard from superstrutter a few times and now buckrogers. Are the rest of you out and hunting or when do you start...?
Old 04-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went out saturday morning and had gobblers surrounding me. I was in a river bottom pasture and had 1 big tom to the east and a bunch to the west. At first light the one to theeast flew down into my pasture about 400 yards away and started strutting. A few minutes later a hen came from some willows to the west and went over and joined the strutting tom. A short while later she was followed by a tom that skirted around me, flew across the river to a different hen and continued east. The hen he flew to flew across to my side and joined the strutting tom. About 10 minutes later a hen and big tom come out from the willows and start heading east and they are in range. (bowhunting). I get set and the tom kinda heats up and is half strutting. I pull back and make sure that my broadhead will clear the blind window and get him to raise his head. I hit the release and the arrow shoots down into the ground 5 yards infront of him and he just stands there and then walks off. I look and there is a neat 1/2inch cut in my blind window[:'(]. That tom and hen continue to head east to the strutting tom. I watch them stand off and just as they are getting ready to kill each other the tom from across the river comes sprinting in wanting some of the action. The two big toms then chase him around the field for a minute before going back to strutting. I now have 3 toms in the field with me. I call fairly aggressively to try to get their attention away from there hens when the willows errupt with a GIANT gobble. A few seconds later 4 more toms show up and skirt around me and take off running to the other toms and proceed to chase them around and then all 7 toms started strutting around the hens. They continue for a couple hours as the occasional hen comes in from the willows and walks off to join the flock. They finally start comeing back when a farmer starts working in the field over by them. There is a hen behind me just standing around doing nothing and the lead tom sees her and comes running in and starts strutting about 35 yards away behind us[:'(]. the rest follow in and start strutting around all the while ignoring my pleas on the slate to come over and destroy my b-moble. They all end up leaving and we call it a day. What a great hunt. I cannot wait to get back out there. As far as I know I didnt educate any of them. I did learn that I will only be having my one breeding hen decoy out next time though.
Sorry for the long post...
Old 04-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

I shot this guy in ky on the second morning of the season. He is a Double-Bearded Tom. He is an eastern turkey

Weight: 20.2
Spurs: Both 1"
Beard Lengths: first one 9" second 8"

Overall Score: Your score is 20.125 + 10 + 10 + 18 = 58.125

I also caught this guy trying to sneak up on my decoys opeing morning...

Old 04-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice trevor, but i think you shorted yourself on the bird's score. A double bearded bird you measure all of the beards and then add them all up and double that score. So you're score should be Your score is 20.125 + 10 + 10 + 34 = 74.125

Get back to me if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: Team 3: Sunrise Demise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.