Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're  #1! " >

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Old 05-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Nice work Gmil... gotta take what you can get sometimes up here in the Northeast!!!
Congrats. Can't wait to see pics and hear the story.. will help the group total!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

hey sorry it took me so long to get back online. Well yesterday morning my father and I went out and for the second morning in a row heard almost no gobbling, a couple off the roost but that was it. So we went to the top of this one ridge where the birds like to go, spread out, set up and started cold calling. We hadn't had any responses so I was just relaxing enjoying the morning when some movement caught my eye. Through the trees I see this red head bobbing into my view, when he got behind a tree i got the gun up and got a good look at him. Right away I could tell he was a jake but decided what the hell, if he gets in range I'll take him. Well as luck would have it he walked right into the open, got on his tip toes and stretched his neck out like he was posing for one of those patterning targets, but he was just a little farther then I would have liked. I gave a few clucks on my mouth call but it was pretty open there so he could see there was no hen and kept walking, luckily in my father's direction. He got just out of sight and I was listening, expecting to hear my father's shotgun at any second. Much to my surprise I didn't hear a BOOM, instead I heard that all too familier putting of an alarmed bird. Moments later here comes the jake running at about Mach 2 right past me, but this time at about half the distance he was earlier. Well all those years rabbit hunting behind beagles served me well because without thinking I shouldered my shotgun, swung on him and rolled him just as he was about to take off haha. unfortunately the batteries on my camera died so I only got a cell phone picture of him in the field and then a couple pictures of his beard and spurs after the fact.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is a trophy jake Gmil!!! Congrats.. sounds like an exciting hunt
Old 05-28-2009, 03:44 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Atta boy - say those cell phones do come in handy - though expensive sending pics around braggin!

JW
Old 05-29-2009, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Good job guys on this season. I had to g under the knife yesterday to have an hernia removed but I am back on my feet (after a horrible day yesterday) and I am headed to meet up with my good buddy yardbird78 up by Topeka to try and score my girlfriend her birds for the season. We really had a nice showing this season. We will be the defending champs of this deal next so we won't be able to sneak up on anyone! We're headed north after she gets off work tonight to be able to hunt in morning. Wish us luck. Man she's been so close on so many occasions but hopefully we'll seal the deal this weekend. She's a bowhunter so that makes her a little tougher. Again guys, great job great season.

Andy
Old 05-29-2009, 04:04 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Say let it be known that the title we do hold is an 'add' on that came as I got creative.

The Real title still is best bird per hunter!

So not so sure we will stay together.

That point is in committee for discussion.

JW
Old 05-30-2009, 03:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

let's hope PA Hardwoods connects... then we may have it!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

A reminder guys... anyone who has not PM'd me their mailing address, please do so soon as I should be receiving stickers any time now to mail out to teammates.
Please let me know!!!!

Also, anyone here good w/ computers and have spare time on their hands? Thought it would be cool to put together a collage of everyone's bird or best bird of the contest..
any thoughts?