Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're  #1! " >

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Old 05-19-2009, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

PM'd everyone to see if they were still hunting or not...

Old 05-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for not posting much, guys. Lots has been going on. I went out the Saturday before last (the 8th). Didn't hear or see much. That Sunday night, I discovered a tick on my back (which I think I got Saturday in the woods). I contracted Lyme disease, and have been on antibiotics since. I got pretty sick from it this past Friday night, but felt better Saturday, but couldn't get out since I was at my fiance's pharmacy graduation.

I will be out this weekend for PA's last Saturday of the season for one more shot. It's been a ROUGH season guys. With the exception of my unlucky encounter the first saturday, I haven't seen much action.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those damn ticks!!!! I had onein my back last week... haven't had any symptoms yet. I picked one off of my 5 year old's head last week too... it wasn't one of the bad red & black one's though..
congrats on marrying a pharmacist!!!! she'll do well!
good luck this weekend.

JoeA is done too... I told him not to be a stranger.. haven't heard from the other 2 yet...

Old 05-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

Hey guys sorry for not checking in for awhile. Unfortunately I don't have a bird to post yet but the good news is that I couldn't have possibily got any closer the past two days. Yesterday my father and I worked like 10 birds (three longbeards, couple jakes, couple hens) for like an hour but we couldn't get them to leave this gas line and we couldn't get any closer without getting spotted. we went to another spot later in the morning and called in four longbeards, and they came in running! The only problem is they didn't come straight in, instead they circled around to my right and were acting really spooky (we had a decoy out and I don't think they liked the way it looked). Eventually i was able to swing around and get a crosshair on one of them and promptly missed haha. There was a dead tree branch in front of me that I didn't see and I blew a chunk right out of it instead of hitting the bird...i'm going to be seeing that shot in my dreams for awhile! This morning we went out and called up another four longbeards (possibly the same group) and my father and I were going to try to double on them. Unfortunately, the way we were situated my father could see the birds and I couldn't, but he didn't know that. So when he said "ready...shoot!" I wasn't ready and couldn't shoot haha. But my dad got a nice bird so it was still an exciting morning. Going to go after them again in the morning and hopefully i will be able to report back with better news.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

sounds like some good hunting... got any pics of your father's?

Old 05-19-2009, 02:13 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Well 1st to those who are still hunting - have fun #1 and good luck #2 and we are here for you......

man getting Lymes that quick is rather rare. it does take 24-36 hrs and if you get the tick removed before then you are fine........

Just got two brand new hard to find decoys and just put a touch of clear nail polish on their eyes! Little trick that works very well....
Hmmmmmmmm

wow!

I am contemplating going tomorrow and skipping my trap league......going for sure Thursday but it looks like rain and tomorrow is going to be a nicer day than today....decisions - decisions!

JW
Old 05-20-2009, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll have to try the nail polish trick JW...I don't know if I will be out anymore this season... possibly tomorrow. Friday is out due to work schedule... Taking my daughter to Fenway for her first game Fri PM... so it will be a late night. Sat is last day.. we'll see how I feel... will be a late night...

Here is a pic of the bird I called in for my brother in law to be a couple of Saturdays ago. His first tom...

Old 05-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Well guys I FINALLY got one! My father and I called in three long beards and we are convinced it was the same group we've been messing with the past two days. Two days ago there were four of them, now there are only two haha. He was a pretty decent bird, only weighed 18 lbs but has a 10 inch beard with 1" spurs. Unfortunately there isn't much of a story to go with it haha. It was late morning when we got to the spot and made one call and they cut us off gobbling. so we set up quickly and made a few more calls and they came marching right in, they all appeared to be the same size so i just picked one out and let him have it.

His skinny beard

Spurs

Me and the Old Man
Old 05-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a picture of my dad's bird. I'm pretty sure he was part of the same group, three days in a row they came charging in gobbling at every sound haha. after getting shot at three times now the two survivors ought to be pretty educated haha.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice gmil. For total birds taken that should seal the deal for us for sure. I think we were 4 birds in front of anyone else. Nice birds for sure. We still have two weeks here in Kansas and I'm headed out to take my nephew Friday morning and then again Saturday, Sunday and Monday to try and get my girlfriend a bird. She's cryin the blues.

Quick Reply: Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.