Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're  #1! " >

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Old 05-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Western MA, Congrats on the birds.Our team has done really well.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Great job westernMA - the birds are still whipping us here in NY though. My father walked past that nest we found this am and something had destroyed it, that was kind of a bummer. But going back after them in the AM, hopefully the wind and rain stops
Old 05-10-2009, 03:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stay with it Gmil... I seem to find the 3rd and 4th week to be the best.. weekend warriors are fed up, many have tagged out, and unless they are hardcore like us, don't seem to be in to it w/ the heat and bugs. I always have had great success later on... tom's are no longer call shy and the hens are mostly all bred...

Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

So here's the weekend report from SE Kansas. Hunted with the nephew on Saturday morning. Heard them gobbling all over but never did see them. We decide to get up and put the sneak on them and we thought we had them until a hen intercepted our toms and took them to safety. No turkey for us on Saturday.

Went out on Sunday early afternoon to a new spot that looks awesome. We're walking in and we spook a hen off the field. We keep going and get setup. (girlfriend want to set up right where we spooked the hen, that's important in a second) So we continue on down the corner of the field. We get set up and wait about 20 minutes and I call a little bit. A hen comes out about 300 yards to our west (left cuz we're facing NW). We then look up and there are some hens coming into the field about 400 yards on the other side of it. Then Rhonda looks NE and sees a big tom strutting (came out right where she wanted to sit ofcourse). He struts his way across the corn to the hens and then hes hung up. He struts in the same place for 2 hours so we decide to put the sneak on him. We abandoned ship and headed west down through a creek. We stopped to check on our boy periodically and he's still just strutting away in the same spot. We get all the way around and we start our way north on the last leg of the stalk and I crawl out the edge to get a visual. Well he's moved and he's strutting right to us!. I get Rhonda set up with the gun and the wait is on. After about 20 minutes and no turkeys moving through the trees we were in I decided to poke my head and get a look. Well we had a hen about 10 yards left of us and she putts and goes back out into the open. I continue to get to my knees to get a look and there's our boy about 20 yards away strutting facing away from us. How perfect right? Well I cluck at him a couple times and he gobbles instantly. I have Rhonda crawl up to me and I stand her up slowly behind this huge tree and tell her to get ready. I am on my knees next to her and she is set up. I cluck at him and he turns and struts straight into our laps. She tells me she's gonna wait for him to turn and then he does just like I scripted it. She's on him and she shoots! Clean miss at 20 yards. [&o] She hands the gun to me and I crawl out the edge and there he is at about 45 yards. Long shot with a 20 guage but I let one fly and he and he haram take off and go into the trees. Great hunt though. She cried all the way back to the blind. She is spoiled by success and has never missed to date. She'll get one.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

sounds like a great hunt! we all miss... most of my misses were close shots that I just rushed and took for granted!
tell her no crying in turkey hunting!!!
she'll get him...
way to make it happen though.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

roosted 2 nice toms last night for a buddy... he never got up to go... birds would have been right in front of him when I drove by this AM... argh...
Old 05-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Hey y'all. Just checking in to see how you're doing. All's I can sayis keep it up!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 06:13 PM
JW
Super Moderator

checkin in quick like too.......have nothing to add......as of yet.....2 weeks more.....

hey Capytano - congrats......and one more bird and we back on top from anyteam member who has not entered a bird yet!

JW
Old 05-13-2009, 04:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck JW...
We missed you around here...

Old 05-13-2009, 05:53 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Well I saw 2 Toms both of which had the ole 20 ounce plastic Coke bottle beard just a swingin' when they walked. They got close but not that close as my strutter kept them at bay and swung in the wind facing them at the wrong time. Really surprised me as I saw both of them go attack another big Tom who was using the same 200 acre field. It was a brief fight to which 2 on 1 you know who won! Why they did not come in to kickmy strutter'sbutt, as I have witnessed many times, I'll never know. Others from the group had the same problem so Ole Vern da strutter is staying in the truck.

And I will be trying something brand new. The blind is going to be set - right smack in the middle of the field they use at the highest point so I will stick out like a sore thumb. I am going to enter their comfort/strutt zone to which once they get there - they do spend a lot of time and won't move to call or decoy.

I will be there way before they are. Set-up will probably be around 3:30 AM - twilight is around 4:30 AM while 1st gobbles on their own have been a little after 5. Fly-down has been bewteen 5:15 to 5:45 AM depending on cloud cover. The more cloudy it has been the darker it is. I am on a mission. Either Tom will suffice though the strutter appears a bit bigger. IMO both are around 25 lbs. - have 1 inch or better spurs (saw them with a spotting scope) and the beard has to be 10" or better! Oughta score well if I can get a shot.

JW

Quick Reply: Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.