Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're  #1! " >

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Exactly MGH... I look forward to the last week & 1/2 of seaso... like a fresh start... birds seem to just appear in new areas too.
No worries Hyco... that is reality... Of course the birds show up right after season... it's always the way it goes!!!
Any luck BetterBirdDogs?

Iowa... we'll have to check w/ JW on how the rules work for the no shows... He is the he & arrowmaster pretty much run this thing!

Old 05-04-2009, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

We're having pretty much the same experiences as MGH. Gobblin on the roost. Responding to us then nothing. I think our birds are henned up pretty bad. I compare this time of turket season to the lockdown part of the rut. Things will open back up in a week or two.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I noticed the same Sat while out... Many of the areas around here are heavily hunted, so they may be getting call shy here too...

Old 05-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Hey guys, I'm glad to see we aren't the only ones struggling with unresponsive birds. My father, brothers and I hunted four straight days and only got one bird. We have heard lots of gobbling but they refuse to commit to the calls, and if they do start coming they hang up at like 60-70 yards. I assume they are henned up but we haven't heard a lot of hens either so i don't know. We did find a nest with 13 eggs in it already though which is pretty early for our area. Maybe over the next week or so a few more will go to nest and the gobblers will be more cooperative. Prob not going to get to go out again until saturday morning, and my older half-brother will be in town so i'll prob be calling for him mostly because he's never got a bird. After graduation on the 16th I should have plenty of time to be in the woods though so i'm sure i'll eventually give one a ride in the truck. there are two main groups of birds and I think we have the one set pretty much figured out now. The other group might be a little tougher, but i have taken birds from that spot before so i think its just a matter of being extra careful as i sneak in there and being patient.

Western MA I hunt in New Berlin, NY down in Otsego County
Old 05-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

here are some pictures of the bird I called in for my brother on opening day, plus a picture of the nest we found the other day

Old 05-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome bird!!! Congrats... great pics too... the only nest I have ever found were eaten by something..

Old 05-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scored again today and tagged out in Massachusetts...
Saw a bird in a field right before lunch around 11:15 am... need to be out of the woods by noon here in MA.
Threw my camo jacket on over my dress shirt and popped up the old double bull. Easiest hunt ever... came in 200 yards across a field in full strut w/ about 9 jakes... 30 yards and done. My best scoring bird to date... wicked rope too.

21 lbs
11.5" beard
1.25" hooks
Your score is 21 + 12.5 + 12.5 + 23 = 69

Old 05-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice. I'm headed across the border in the morning (weather permitting). What's the deal with the toms and jakes together you think. It's the same way here. I saw a tom the other with at least 15 jakes and with all that sausage in the field they had no interest in my two hens (who are easy by the way). I couldn't get any of those birds to come my way.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

not sure... i have seen several lone gobblers around 11 ish by them selves or w/ jakes. Even w/ hens, they seem to be responsive.
Where are you heading Better?
Looks like a pretty nice AM as I write this...

Old 05-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Brother in law tagged out on a nice long beard in CT this AM. #5 on the season between MA & CT.

I took my sister in law's fiance out today... only his second time turkey hunting... he scored on a nice tom. 17lb, 8" beard, 3/4" spur... First turkey of his newly addicted career!

Quick Reply: Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.