Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're  #1! " >

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Old 04-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Team 1 thread

alright boys... game face is on... youth hunt tomorrow AM... I start Monday...
just stopped by dad's this AM.. no turkeys in sight.. took out my mouth call for a couple of yelps... whole hill lit up. ran inside and watched the show... in came 3 mature toms w/ 3 hens (on hen had a nice 5" or so thin beard). They came in on a string to the ridge and hung around for an hour or so.
They never saw me and are very responsive...
Tomorrow GAME ON!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well... had a great inaugural youth turkey hunt this AM. We only had 6 kids... We killed 4 toms! My "student" went turkey hunting for the first time this AM w/ me. His first words when he heard his first gobble on the roost was "whoah"... had 3 toms gobbling on the roost... all came in but wouldn't committ first light... gave them some nasty cuts about 20 minutes later and he smoked the first one that came in! They lit the ridge right up!!! He was one of the toms w/ the broken beard I have been seeing.
Weighed in at 17lb, had 1" spurs, but only a 1.5" beard! He was grinning ear to ear.. definatlely one of the most satisfying hunts of my young career. He was so excited... I think we have a new turkey junkie on our hands.

Here is a pic of him w/ his bird. I will post a pic of both of us w/ it as soon asI get it.

Here is a pic of all of the youth hunters w/ their "kids" and birds. I am w/ the 2nd from your left next to the crazy beard guy!!! (my wife's cousin}

Old 04-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

by the way.. the largest bird taken was 21.5lb w/ a 9.5" beard & 1" spurs...
the other 2 were both around 17lb as well.
The 2 boys who didn't connect did have encounters and got to hear birds gobble and did see some toms & jakes... nothing in shooting range though..

Old 04-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

That's awesome WesternMA I'm sure they were all thrilled
Old 04-26-2009, 01:16 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Nice photo and I feel bad for 2 hutners and you can see it on their face!
Dang

JW
Old 04-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

i hear ya JW... but, they did actually get their own hunting licenses and tags for regular season since they were old enough... their sponsors are taking them out this Sat.
Hopefully they will connect. If not, the state will let them hunt in the program again next year.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Okay gang I updated scores and now we are in 2nd place in the Team Best bird per man portion. Anyone of you - any one who takes a bird of any size should put us back in the number 1 spot. Team 10 has 6 while we onlyhave 5! I doo have 3 weeks more to try to best my best score and that should help.

However we still lead with a pretty good margin in the Overall total of all birds shot.

So go get 'em group!

Say WestMA - would not hurt to e-mail those who have not checked in for a while. I do know dog1 is done and will nto be hunting - but don't know about the rest.
do know PaHardwoods whacks a few each yr.....and then we have our Captain! So things look good to get us back there.....

Have a Safe one gang!
Ethics do pay off!

JW
Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just put one down this AM boys.. When I gettled settled in I will get the score up and update the board... great hunt which ended in a nice long beard!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Took this guy this AM... hung up on a ridge.. wouldn't commit after 45 minutes... slipped down and peaked around a tree.... he was up on the ridge around 40 or 45 yards stretching his neck out looking for the sound in the leaves he heard. Rolled him right down the ridge.[/align]Weighed 19 & 1/2 lb, had a 1 & 1/4" and 1 &1/8 " spur and a 9" beard.[/align][/align]Your score is 19.5 + 12.5 + 11.25 + 18 = 61.25[/align][/align][/align]
Old 04-27-2009, 07:38 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Yowzer!!! Congrats WM.......now that puts us bck on top in the 1 bird per man event! by 14 pts!

And makes us even stronger in the overall!

WE are #1!

And the rest of the Team - go get em gang!

1 more bird will really get us up there!

JW

Quick Reply: Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.