Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're  #1! " >

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Old 04-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Team 1 thread

Alright... getting fired up now... 3 long beards and 3 jakes in dad's yard this AM... one time is an absolute MONSTER.. he said he is absolutely huge... I have seen the other 2... probably 1.5 yo birds... this guy has a wicked rope and hooks on him... huge body too.
I'm hoping i can get the kid the big boy for his first bird on the 25th... but I will try to go on a kiling spree after that the following Monday!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys, well it was a great morning to be in the Florida woods (swamp if there was water). Had a nice mature gobbler shake the woods with his single and double gobbles this morning. I had everything setup right at first light. Had a hen and jake setup about 15-20 yards from me and when the bird came off the roost he started to come rigth at me. My dekes were setup in an old logging road so the could be seen. The bird came into the roadway at 68 yards and stopped and checked them out. He started walking up the road to the dekes and then went into the wooded area at about 60 yards. I could not see him until he had swung around to my left at about 35 yards still in heavycypress. Icould notget a shot at himand had to watch him strut trying to get my hen deke to come to him.He would not come any closer and appeared to be scared to approach the jake deke. Don't understand why he would not confront the jake decoy. The bird wasvery mature with about a 10-11" beard. The bird then made the same track back into the woods the same way he had come.

Almost immediately after the bird departed, had two hunters try and sneak in on me again calling like crazy. It appeared it was the same two people that scared the bird off from me two weeks ago. I beleive these two hunters are the ones thatalways walks the logging roads until they hear a turkey gobble and then trys and set up on the birds without caring who they screw up in hte process. Oh the joys of public land hunting in Florida.

Well I am heading back in there tomorrow. Wish meluck again and does anyone have any advice on this turkey. I know he is a smart ole bird, I beleive the big problem today was I was not squared up enough to be able to move from right to left with my gun. I thought the bird was going to take a more direct route to the decoys. What do you think?
Old 04-09-2009, 03:13 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey Mid - in all ,my expereience using decoys - Jakes have never worked for me - change it out for a Hen or use a Strutter.............I have seen far too many times the same situation you just witnessed. Tom stopping becuase of that dang Jake!

JW
Old 04-09-2009, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

On that bird I would go with hen dekes only. My girlfriend and I joke about our jake decoy being 11-0 when it comes to turkey confrontations. I have had toms for the most part come right in on the b-mobile. Some satellite toms will skirt the tom. I combat this problem by facing the strutting tom towards me. Once they get behind it they seem to have the confidence to make a move on it. Also I have noticed that when a tom typically skirts the setup they will usually do it at about 20-25 yards. If you have your deke in close at say 8-10 yards you will still presented with a shot.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all your input and it was dead on. I took my son with me this morning (6 year Old) Spring Break and daycare all closed. Anyway, he has been wanting to go hunting with me so I packed everything up, blind, stick chairs, turkey vest, backpack with all equipment and snacks and my TK2000. Needless say we did not get in the woods as early as I wanted to but we finally made it to the spot I had seen the tom the day before.We set up the blind and got comfortable. I put out a solo hen decoy and got ready. I made a few light yelps and wham, a gobble about 100 yards behind me. My kid's face lights up and starts grinning. I was like "Thank God". I called a few more times and here he came but of course not the direction I wanted. He circled to my leftat about my 7 o'c;pck position and hung up about 30 yards away. I could not turn around fast enough andhe went back to my 6 position (out of view). I finally got turned around in my blind and made a few more calls and he started coming in again this time to my left. We seen him come around the corner of the blind at 38 yards and I took him down with my muzzleloader. Unbeleiveable hunt I am so glad my son got to go with me this morning. Thanks for all your advice, I knew I had to ditch the jake decoy, it really made the gobbler nervous the day before. Here is a picture. I will get the score posted as well.

Osceola
Beard - 9"
Spurs - 1"
Weight 17 lbs. 1 oz

17.0625 + 10 + 10 + 18 = 55.0625

Old 04-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

That's awesome man. It always better when you can kill one with your youngster in tow. It's more work but well worth it. You're on the board! That may put us in first place.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:56 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Atta boy - good show! Your bird brought our Team total up and We took overall total.......I'll let West post for the Capytano thing.....

Now park that Jake on the shelf - as I said I never had it work for me - using a strutting decoy - yes

JW
Old 04-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

The jake is gone, he will never see the light of day again. Ha. Yea, my boy sure enjoyed the morning. Hopefully I will be able to get out once or twice more before season ends.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:19 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey one idea for that Jake and it is what I did. Since mine was plyable and rubber - I folded his tail into the open decoy body cavity. I then added a real tail fan I mounted on a wooden bracket that had a metal stake. And now the Jakes works better than ever! made my own strutter as I was not going to use that Jake ever again as is!

JW
Old 04-10-2009, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice job Midsouth! Very glad you boy was there with you for it!
Congrats on a fine bird!

What type of blind are you using?

Quick Reply: Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.