Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team 8 "Beard Busters" Thread >

Team 8 "Beard Busters" Thread

Community

Team 8 "Beard Busters" Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 8 "Beard Busters" Thread

That's all good and all, BUT the picture of you holding your bird is you holding a jake, indicated by the 6 long middle tail feathers. SO did you shoot a second bird that you got the full beard and spurs from?
Old 04-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Spike

yah its a jake a shot the day before, the pictures of the tom are on my sisters camera and shes outa town so i just put the jake on
Old 04-26-2009, 11:11 AM

Killed one this morning, one more for team 8 I will have pic up later today.
TK............
Old 04-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats to y'all on those fine birds. The Turkey Gods were good this weekend, good to the turkeys that is. I set up and had one gobblinglike there would be no end. He finally came out of the woods about 100 yards from me, started to commit, came a little ways, stopped, looked at the decoys(jake/2 hens)and had a change of heart[:@]. I tried some yelps and purrs, but he won't buying. I watched him go across the field and I'd call again, he'd stop and look, but still no luck. I watched him walk off into the cutover...I guess that would be what you call a decoy shy bird. Fun, but frustrating, the guys had a great week though, 4 nice longbeards in Turkey heaven..too bad they didn't need another one......it ain't over yet....I know where he roosts now.

Was there anything else I could have done to have gotten him to come? I scratched leaves, yelped, clucked, and finally a staccato of yelps and a few cuts mixedwith excitement.??????
Old 04-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright team Beard Busters. We're starting to make some serious noise here. Can't wait to see your other pics. Conner, and can't wait to see yours too 677.

jbar, I learned a long time ago, that turkeys can be fickle one day and dumb as a box of rocks the next day. You probably didn't do a dang thing wrong, and there may not have been anything that you could've done to change the out come. I had a situation last year where we located some birds on a neighbors property on the last weekend. We figured that they hadn't been hunted. BUT when we set up on them with two hens and a full strutter, I could not get a bird to get into comfortable bow range. Had them all around us, but none would challenge the full strutter. SO, the next day we went back in with just a single hen decoy, and killed a double. One was with the bow, and the other was shotgunned, after the bow kill. Stick with it, and it'll come together for ya.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:10 PM

Story and stats to follow

Old 04-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a good one for sure 677. BUT I gotta tell ya, that was probably the shortest story that I've ever read on here!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the birds guys. well my weekend was a freaking dud. we got pelted by rain all weekend long. i only got out saturday morning and my uncle and i got into the woods at like 6:15. i pulled out my box call and did alittle yelping. then all of the sudden we heard a gobble and it sounded pretty close. so we got set up and started calling. we got him within 75 yards and he just shut down and started walking away. then it started down pouring so we got the heck out of there. im going to get a tag for the last season here in wisconsin and hopefully get one on the ground for us. sorry i couldnt get us one this weekend guys. hopefully i have alittle better luck in the next few weeks
Old 04-29-2009, 02:50 PM

Sorry Guys been very busy @ work here are a few pictures

Old 04-29-2009, 03:21 PM

Allright Pic are posted (This took a me some time)

I killed this bird on Sunday morning around 7am. We had a gobbler in this field the day before, that we could not get to cross a ditch so we moved our blindto his side of the ditch. We got the DSD decoys (Estyle and Randell named after my mother-in-law and a guy @ work) set out and in the blind around 530 andwere waiting to hear the turkey come to life, and nothing, they were not making a sound. I thought this was going to be a long day when my hunting partner saw this bird across on the same side of the ditch we were on the day before. After glassing for a while we knew he had allready seen the decoys and was on his way. Across the ditch he came struting and druming but not gobbling at all. I was going to let him have his way with Estyle but I just didn't wont to shoot my $300 decoys. I shoot him abot 15 feet behind the decoys setup and it was a 27 yard shoot from the blind. This bird was by himself and never make a sound and we never made a call to him...

His stats are
16lbs 7oz
spurs 7/8" and 1"
beard was a double the main was 10 1/4"
and the second was 7 3/4"

The last picture was are decoy setup

Good luck every one
Tony K

Quick Reply: Team 8 "Beard Busters" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.