Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team 8 "Beard Busters" Thread >

Team 8 "Beard Busters" Thread

Team 8 "Beard Busters" Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Team 8 "Beard Busters" Thread

Well i had a good opening morning. we are on the board again
story
Man its over just like that I started the morning off by waking up 30 minutes before the alarm from anticipation. Walked the 3/4 mile back down an old lane or growed up haul road, abandoned from the coal mines way back. Its no more than a fourwheeler trail now that goes down the middle of our lease. I had built three blinds weeks earlier and chose the one i thought would produce. First light came and there was and im guessing, 15 different Toms all around gobbling like mad but the closest was around 200 yards. I had deer blowing at me for around 15 minutes I stuck it out until 8:30 after all the birds were no longer gobbling. I went towards an area where birds had quit not long ago, set up, hunted, but could get nothing riled up but more deer blowing at me I decided it was time to head to my favorite mid morning honey hole. Back on the old haul road/trail but in another spot where birds travel mid day when the hens have left them. Got the deeks set up and setled in. Did some light calling every twenty minutes. It was around 11:00, I had just got done with a call series and about a minute later i hear soft bird chatter to my left. I got ready, seen three red white and blue heads come into view, and when they were behind some head high pines i drew and waited for them to step into one of my shooting lanes. First bird was a Jake with a 2" nub, second was the same, and the third was either a Jake or a Tom with beard rot, he had a four inch thick wad that stuck straight out but was much larger, I decided to pass on them and man im glad i did. After they stepped behind some small pines i let down and reset the ripcord arm. They made it to the decoy set and the biggest Jake got behind the Tom and stuck his head through the tail feathers and gave it a shove. I smiled as i watched the show I glanced back to my left where the Jakes had came from and now i was looking at two full faned blown up mature Gobblers on there way. Luckly the Jakes had got back behind some brush and when the Toms went behind the small pines I drew and waited. They stepped into the lane and at 15 yards I let the victory arrow fly with the two blade Rage and hit the bread basket He went into violent flapping and about took out the decoys He made it 12 yards before expiring in some grass. The Jakes rushed over to him, The other Big Tom rushed to the Dekes and sized them up for a bit but decided to check on his buddy. I thought he would spur him but he just hung around FOR THE NEXT 45 MINUTES I finally had to just get up and send him running My bird is:
22 lbs 8oz
8 1/4" beard
1 3/16" spurs (both)score: 22.5+11.875+11.875+16=62.25

beard

spurs

Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Nice bird and story Bloodcrick, love that paintbrush too. I'm headed back Sat., hopefully I'll have someting good to contribute.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great replay, and nice shot on a "well hung" gobbler. You talkin' about that tom that might have had "beard rot" reminds me of a friend of mine that did a spot and stalk on a tom that he couldn't call in. When he got close enough to shoot it, he could see that it didn't have very much length on his beard, but it was real thick, so he went ahead and took the shot. Turned out, and wish I had pics. to show, but the spurs on that bird were over 2" long.

Way to go with the bow!!!! AND GOOD LUCK jbar!!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:25 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Yo - bloodcrick - dang nice bird - I am sorta ahead there Conner but reprot it on the Team Scores so Arrowmaster gets the score too.

JW
Old 04-23-2009, 02:44 PM

WOW Bloodcrick thats a great bird and a great story you bow guys make me wish I'd give it a try but I'll stick to usin the ole boom stick I'm a better shot with it still got 3 days of waiting after today the 27th aint never goin to get here birds around here are gettin awful quiet hope this year will be better than last year all rain and now talk made for no TOM I hope that goes different this year limit of 2 for the year and can't take em both on the same day so heres to hopin I can bag 2 nig big toms or just 1 HUGE Granddaddy Tom
Old 04-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the great bird bloodcrick!!! we're putting them down this year. i'll be heading out this weekend and hopefully putting one on the ground
Old 04-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Spike

Very nice bird bloodcrick! I posted your score.
I went out at about 5:30 this morning and had a lone tom gobble right behind me at abut 6:25. I kept calling and he came in really smooth and I got a nice shot on him.
Beard:10 in
Spurs: about an inch a piece
He weighed in at about 21 pounds 7 ounces
61.4375 was his final score, i'll have pics up soon
Old 04-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ALright Conner. Now let's see those pics. That puts our team at 4 people killing and 6 good birds on the ground. Keep it up guys.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Loo ks like we're doing better [8D]
Old 04-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Spike

Heres the pics on my bird
And heres a pretty cruddy video my dad made haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyb3xmPiXJ4

Quick Reply: Team 8 "Beard Busters" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.