Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team 16  "Longbeards Inc." >

Team 16 "Longbeards Inc."

Community

Team 16 "Longbeards Inc."

Old 03-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Team 16 Thread

Here in Alabama we start March 16.

As for captain and name, I dont care either.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Bhensley as captain and LongbeardInc. sounds great to me.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright well it looks like everyone either doesnt care or is alright with bhensley as captain and Longbeards Inc. so lets go with that. Any objections?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

good luck to all and be safe...
Old 03-02-2009, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Longbeards Inc. is fine with me.

I will be in Kansas April 5-8. My tags for Illinois aren't until May though.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys,

I have been out and about, not checking in as often as I like. So Bhensley as Captain and Longbeards Inc. sounds good to me as well. Lets get this rolling.

I'm off to Alabama and then Tennessee starting on the 22nd of March, startinghunting on the 23rd. Going to be in Pine Apple, AL and then Waynesboro, TN, anybody here ever hear of those two places?

I've been practicing the calling and yes I now sound better than the hens themselves (always seems that way in my head around this time of the year! [8D]at least!!). SO just cut me loose and let me do the rest!!

I'm hunting with my 870 Rem Thumbhole stock, super dooper turkey gun. Shooting 1 5/8 of #5 Hevi 13's. I have a couple of cheap box calls, a couple of nicer pot calls (A Bud & Betty's glass over glass that is awesome), and a ridiculous assortment of diaphragm calls but I am partial to the Talking Stick mouth calls www.talkinstick.commyself. I try to run&gun. Hate sitting in blinds, although sometimes thats the best way to get them. I prefer to chase them, get in front of them, sneak around them and be mobile cause I figure some day I will HAVE to sit it a blind when I get old and my legs don't listen anymore.

I'll be taking my wife and 4 month old brand new baby boy (my future turkey hunting partner) with me on this first trip. If all goes well, the wife is going to get out and try to whack a bird or two herself with me doing the calling. Not sure if we will be able to find a baby sitter while we are out and about but we'll see.

So what are the rest of you using for guns, calls, strategy and the like?

I'm getting fired up, 20 days and counting!!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hoot thats great that your hunting seasons are not far away at all. Before you know it you will be out killin monster toms and hopefully your wife ends up getting one too. Good luck with that.

Andas far what kind of weapon I will be using this season, it would be my Martin Orion, set at 65#. I will be using rage 2 blades and hope to get my first gobbler with the bow. If that doesnt work out I will switch over to the Remington 1100.

I also like to run and gun and have never used a blind for turkey hunting. I will be hunting by myself, with my dad, and with my friend mikey in different setups. I am fired up but my season is not until May after I'm out of school for the summer. My spring break starts this week and I will be shooting my bow a lot and will be scouting my various hunting locations.

As far as calls I mainly use slate calls but also use box calls once in a while. I also have learned to call with just my mouth and that is often the calling I end up using.

Bhensley I guess you can go ahead and post on the captain board and also give them the team name. I could try to come up with an avatar for the team over the next week while on spring break. I willpost any that I come up with.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry for being gone the last few days fellas, been a little busy with some stuff around here. Everything sounds good to me and I'll gt us posted up.

As for hunting, I'll be using both my Fred Bear ShowDown bow and my Mossberg 500 Turkey gun, XXX Full Turkey Choke, Mossy Oak Break-up camo and thumbhole stock. For calls I'm leaving that up to the pro's (2 friends of mine). We'll be making the trips together for the most part and they got the calling down to a T. Were gonna be going out in pairs and try to get the hunts on video. And we're gonna try and set-up some natural blinds this weekend as we got lots of limbs down to use.

Bow season starts April 1st and gun April 8th here in Kansas for me.

Good luck out there and everyone be safe.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:49 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Hey Gang,

Just checking back in... I've been busy calling coyotes and am now getting into the turkey frame of mind. I just saw the new stickers and they look very nice.

Just curious, Anyone else from NY here on team 16? (My old hockey number, by the way )

Good luck to everyone that has an early start. I'll have to live through you until May 1st

BHW
Old 03-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Good deal, hows the coyote hunting going? Been wanting to do that for a while but still haven't got around to it.

Quick Reply: Team 16 "Longbeards Inc."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.