Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

New Shotgun

Old 08-12-2004, 11:27 AM

Default New Shotgun

I am lookin in to buyin a new shotgun and i was wonderin if any of u guys have any i deas. Now this cant just be any shotgun, i would like either a pump, semi-auto or a over-under. And i would only like to pay around $350
Old 08-12-2004, 11:51 AM

Default RE: New Shotgun

Just warning you right now....you might get overwhelmed with the choices that you can choose from. My advice is to grap a parent, and head to the store where you are going ot buy your gun. Get all the shotguns that you like and see which one feel better, is more comftorble, and the right size for you. Then when you gound the one you want buy it. The shotgun that i own, and if my favorite is the Benelli Nova pump. The on the website it says that the black sinthetic is $340 and the camo is $405. Actually at the stores the camo is about $350 or $370 and the sinthetic is even cheaper than that. It comes with a 3 1/2 inch chamber. It comes in 20, 12 guage, and if you are nto very old and a smaller person it comes in a youth model. Later you can also buy a mercury recoil reducer if the recoil is to strong for you for $100, and it works really well. Well i hope this help you out...good luck on finding a gun, and good hunting
Old 08-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/index.tpl Here are some benelli's. I suggest the super black Eagle II Or the Super Black Eagle
Old 08-12-2004, 06:58 PM

Get a Remington 870 best pump gun ever made!!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:39 PM

there are some very nice shotguns out there in and around your price range.

what i would like to know
-how old are you
-what is it to be used for "i.e- upland birds,sporting clays, turkey"

now if you plan on shooting a whole lot and don't want to spend much on ammo the 12 is by far the best choice. however a 20 or a 28 carry much better in the woods. you can get the same 12 gauge gun in a 20 and it will weigh at least a pound less.

i own and have shot almost every gauge out there and i will not lie if i had to choose one for the hunting i do i would take my 28. i hunt pheasants, woodcock, crows and some squirrel with shotguns and i have had great success shooting winchester high brass #6 shot out to a good 40 yards. however the ammo isn't cheap but i believe it is worth every nickel. i guess i am a little bias [:-]

as far as what action "pump, semi" which ever you like better. however if you don't have a long arm reach and are shooting a large 12 gauge pump you may have problems with the action

also if you want to look at side by sides EAA makes respectable ones under 400. i have one in a 12 and it works great

give us some info and let us help you
Old 08-14-2004, 11:43 AM

well i think a 12 ga. pump rimington i shoot that and is like an angle.When u get your gun get it is lil bit of wt. to it, it will not kick as much
Old 08-15-2004, 08:35 PM

What are you primarily going to do w/ the gun?

Sporting Clays, Trap, Skeet, Waterfowl, Upland Bird, Dear?
Do you want to buy one that is considered "entry level" or "middle of the road" or "top of the line"?
Do you want to keep it for a long time, or sell it in a couple of years to upgrade to something different?
Do you want the gun to be good for a lot of different types of hunting, or specialized for one type?
Are you thinking about "handing it down" to another family member like a son or a daughter?
Is $350.00 all of the $$$ you can come up with, or can you still save more?
How soon do you want it?
What caliber do you want?
Rifled barrel, or smooth bore?
length of barrel?
etc........

I would get all of this this figured out first. Then do plenty of reading up on that particular make & model. Find as much information as you can.....then make your decision.

For me, purchasing a weapon is a long process that may take several months & maybe years. Be a smart buyer & know & understand the weapon & how you plan on using it.

I would try to avoid a situation like "man, I wished I'd have bought something different"
I wouldn't "settle", get what you want, for today's needs & for tommorows needs as well.
It may not hurt to buy something you can "grow into"

Yoopper Hunter