Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
minor hunting alone? >

minor hunting alone?

Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

minor hunting alone?

Old 03-23-2015, 05:40 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Link to Illinois Regs

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/...ngLicense.aspx

For resident youth aged 16 and under, the Youth Hunting License shall entitle the licensee to hunt while supervised by a validly Hunter licensed adult; parent, grandparent, or guardian who is 21 years of age or older. Possession of a Youth Hunting License shall serve in lieu of a valid hunting license, but does not exempt the licensee from compliance with the requirements of any rules and regulations.

The youth shall not hunt or carry a hunting implement, (firearm, bow, crossbow) unless the youth is accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of a validly Hunter licensed adult; parent, grandparent, or guardian who is 21 years of age or older.

At age 17 years or when the youth chooses to hunt by themselves, they are required to successfully complete a Hunter Safety course approved by the Department prior to being able to obtain their own full Hunting license and subsequently hunt by themselves End Quote

That tells me at age 13 your are illegal.
I'd be careful. But to double check I did contact L DNR

And here is a link I usedto 'Ask IL DNR'
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Pages/Feedback.aspx

JW

Last edited by JW; 03-23-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

From the Illinois DNR website------

Youth Hunting License

The purpose of this license is to extend limited hunting privileges, in lieu of obtaining a valid hunting license, any resident youth age 16 years old and under who will be hunting under the direct supervision of a validly Hunter licensed adult; parent, grandparent, or guardian who is 21 years of age or older.

The Resident Youth Hunting License shall be a renewable license that shall expire on the March 31 following the date of issuance. The Youth Hunting License shall not require any certificate of competency or other Hunting Education as a condition of the Youth Hunting License.

For resident youth aged 16 and under, the Youth Hunting License shall entitle the licensee to hunt while supervised by a validly Hunter licensed adult; parent, grandparent, or guardian who is 21 years of age or older. Possession of a Youth Hunting License shall serve in lieu of a valid hunting license, but does not exempt the licensee from compliance with the requirements of any rules and regulations.

The youth shall not hunt or carry a hunting implement, (firearm, bow, crossbow) unless the youth is accompanied by and under the close personal supervision of a validly Hunter licensed adult; parent, grandparent, or guardian who is 21 years of age or older.

At age 17 years or when the youth chooses to hunt by themselves, they are required to successfully complete a Hunter Safety course approved by the Department prior to being able to obtain their own full Hunting license and subsequently hunt by themselves.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

When in doubt, follow the printed regulations to the letter of the law. That way if you do get a ticket you can take the regs into court and use them to plead your case. Hard to argue with something printed by the state if you follow the guidelines in them.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:57 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Okay I read all the Illinois regs and then sent a question to the Ask a Warden as I posted.

this is what I got in return,
I asked
At what age can a hunter hunt alone?

Do you have a minimum age to hunt?

The Response ~ Quote
No minimum age. They can hunt alone after passing the required hunter safety course and securing a foid card.

Conservation Officer Pickett 276
IDNR Law Enforcement
One Natural Resources Way
Springfield, IL 62702

End Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by JW
Okay I read all the Illinois regs and then sent a question to the Ask a Warden as I posted.

this is what I got in return,
I asked
At what age can a hunter hunt alone?

Do you have a minimum age to hunt?

The Response ~ Quote
No minimum age. They can hunt alone after passing the required hunter safety course and securing a foid card.

Conservation Officer Pickett 276
IDNR Law Enforcement
One Natural Resources Way
Springfield, IL 62702

End Quote

I'm glad you did that JW! Coming back to this thread this AM after it was brought back up the more I read through the different types of licenses Illinois has the more it appeared to me that might be the case. The key is that they have to have completed and passed a Hunters Ed Course. They also have an Apprentice License, as well as that license for those 16 and under that allows them to hunt that we were originally referring to and that's without taking Hunters Ed, but that is when they have to be accompanied by a licensed hunter. That amazes me because that is about the least restrictive a state can be and for it to be in Illinois where they even require a FOID card for a resident to have a gun of any type is really weird. Here is the key sentence in the regulations: "At age 17 years or when the youth chooses to hunt by themselves, they are required to successfully complete a Hunter Safety course approved by the Department prior to being able to obtain their own full Hunting license and subsequently hunt by themselves." That sure leaves a kid that is very young to be by themselves. I started back in the early 50s before I even got into first grade, but I had taken one of the first NRA offered Hunters Ed Courses and hunted with my Dad. Even though I was well versed in safety, etc. I'm sure my Dad wouldn't have allowed me out by myself at that young age.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-24-2015 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-24-2015, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

However, back to the OP's question. He asked if he could hunt alone at age 13, the answer is no.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:39 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Wait - as I read it I thought so too! No he can't and thus my e-mail question to which Yes he can!
As long as he has his has passed a IL DNR approved Hunter Safety course and has a FOID card. If at Age 13 he has that card and certificate he can choose to hunt alone.

Another link to read about FOID
http://www.pagunblog.com/2007/05/13/youth-shooting/

That is how I read it.

Last edited by JW; 03-24-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just got off the phone with an Illinois game officer. You are correct, as much as I have a hard time believing it. If the kid has taken and passd the Hunter Ed course and has a card, and he has a FOID card and he has a regular hunting license, he may hunt alone. So, good luck to him. I know one thing, I would not allow my kid to hunt alone at 13.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I just got off the phone with an Illinois game officer. You are correct, as much as I have a hard time believing it. If the kid has taken and passd the Hunter Ed course and has a card, and he has a FOID card and he has a regular hunting license, he may hunt alone. So, good luck to him. I know one thing, I would not allow my kid to hunt alone at 13.
I wouldnt either but my dad let me. I hunted with him from 6 years old till almost 13 before he would let me hunt alone.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:18 PM
Banned

I had a drivers licence at 14 , so I suppose, wether or not I WOULD allow a child to hunt alone at 13 would have to be determined on each child individually. some 13 year olds are more mature and gun safe then, adults that are 40.if child has been taught well , he should be fine to hunt on own.

I would however insist on knowing where he was hunting and set a time on when he should be home. and I would have him carry a phone just in case he had trouble and needed help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.