Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

First deer

Old 11-23-2013, 01:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

My first deer was taken some 43 or 44 years ago. I had a photo but over the years and many, many moves later, it is lost somewhere in the void. My first one was a 2x2 mulie taken when I was 6 with a 30-30 in CO. Back then you had to be 14 to hunt big game but my father thought that was a stupid law so he let both me and my brother take game on his license when he thought we were ready. The statute of limitations has run out and Dad has passed on so I think I'm safe. I took my first bull elk, a spike, the year after under the same circumstances.

In the grand scheme of deer hunting, that 2x2 buck wasn't anything special but to a young boy, hunting with his father and grandfather, it was the best deer taken in CO that year. I still have the antlers that I mounted as a lad. They hold a place of honor on my wall. I'll get rid of every trophy taken since before I let that rack get away.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

I shot my first deer when I was 11. I had been killin rabbits for years but that was the first year my dad let me hunt deer. it was on a Saturday afternoon and about 30 degrees, we were huntin out of a tree stand and about to freeze. it got to be about 4:30 and we were thinkin about headin out when I felt a leaf fall on my shoulder I turned around to brush it off and seen three does and a nice buck about 300 yards off on the neighbors field. we watched them for a little bit and then we seen three white tails run away so we thought they left. about five minutes later a 10 point buck walked out at 80 yards. my dad was lookin away and didn't see him. I said "dad don't move i'm gonna shoot". I pulled back the hammer on my single shot .223 put the crosshairs on his shoulder and shot. he dropped in his tracks. upon butcherin him we seen that the bullet hit him in the shoulder, broke in half one half stuck in his shoulder and the other half bounced around, broke through a rib, punctured a lung and logged in his spine. turns out it was a very lucky shot. iv'e shot a lot of deer since then but no trophy could ever replace that one.
Attached Thumbnails First deer-f7143a7048e1fa65ef4dad2d9d9b2add.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Spike

First post for me! Anyway, it was opening day down here in tx in 2008. I was 11. I was after a big 8 pt, a small 8 pt and a 7 pt. we got in the stand well before daylight and the temp on the mirror in truck said 25. The wind was blowing right through the back window so my dad kept that closed. Right when you could see about 50 yrds, my dad says "git yer gun, that seven points standin right behind us". So as he raises the window, it pops real loud. Deer was gone. So we got done and I'm mad at my dad for not opening the window when we got there. Wet to camp ate breakfast and lunch, take a nap and my dad wakes me up for the evening hunt. Well I tell him i didnt want to go but he talked me into it. We sat there all after noon not seeing a thing with about 15 minutes left of daylight and I'm telling my dad what a waste of time it was. He smiled and shrugged his shoulders, just as fast as he smiled, it was gone that quick and he says "that little 8 points walkin out, I'll get your gun you come over to my window". So I did, got the gun to my shoulder, looked through the scope, that 90 inch 8 pt looks like a 190 inch 8 point. Well I get ready put the crosshairs on him and let the 30-30 bark. Dropped him. Well I'm jumping up and down and all excited when I see him trying to get up I put two more rounds in him to seal the deal. Needless to say as I said it was a waste of time, ill take the words from brad paisley and say it was time well wasted
Old 10-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Spike

This is his mount we had done
Old 10-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Spike

Just a little 8
Attached Thumbnails First deer-image.jpg