Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
Any Hunting Advice?!?! >

Any Hunting Advice?!?!

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Any Hunting Advice?!?!

Old 07-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to the Deer Hunting and Bowhunting forums, they have really good stuff and more ppl with more experience.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think everyone already has it covered. So I will just end with stay safe, aim small, miss small.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

i think a 7.62x39 is a little light for deer thats probably what your ak is
Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

most aks shoot 223 atleast my uncle and all of his friends' do but im not sure id want atleast a .243 but even thats a little light if i could id go 270
Old 07-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Originally Posted by marlin30/30_drabe
i think a 7.62x39 is a little light for deer thats probably what your ak is
According to Honorable Husband, who reloads and knows his stuff, 7.62 x 39 is roughly equivalent to a .30-30, which is considered quite adequate for deer.

May The Sheep Be With You
Old 07-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by daddyslittlegirl
According to Honorable Husband, who reloads and knows his stuff, 7.62 x 39 is roughly equivalent to a .30-30, which is considered quite adequate for deer.

May The Sheep Be With You
i looked it up and yeah your husband is right 7.62x39 is equivilant to a 30/30

but also i have heard that most AK's arent usaully that accurate, im not trying to keep you from hunting i just want you to do it right and be successful
Old 07-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Scout,Scout,Scout.Thats all I can really say just find those deer during the off season so come season you arnt rushing to find a place to setup that might be an ok location. When you could of had alot of time in the off season.Also have a few different stand locations for different winds.One more practice with your gun alot,which I figure you already do as fun as aks are to shoot.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Little Doe Peep

Smile

Originally Posted by garett12
Scout,Scout,Scout.Thats all I can really say just find those deer during the off season so come season you arnt rushing to find a place to setup that might be an ok location. When you could of had alot of time in the off season.Also have a few different stand locations for different winds.One more practice with your gun alot,which I figure you already do as fun as aks are to shoot.
Honorable Husband would agree. (So would I) We spend a LOT of time in the woods scouting, much more time than we spend actually hunting. We don't sit in a stand. Honorable Husband tracks them after he determines their patterns during the off-season.

You also need to practice shooting whatever gun or bow you use. It is very wrong to wound an animal and then not be able to find it.

And be sure to wear nice warm wool clothes when it gets cold