Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 What age is the right age to start hunting? >

What age is the right age to start hunting?

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

What age is the right age to start hunting?

Old 01-16-2006, 01:10 PM

Default What age is the right age to start hunting?

Hi all-
I am an advid hunter and mainly hunt deer, small game(grouse/rabbit), waterfowl and will actually begin turkey hunting this year. I have a 6 1/2 year old daughter and 5 year old son. They have seen pictures of me with deer I have shot and also have helped me pluck geese that I bring hime from hunts. They have also watched me clean fish. I am just curious what the best method is for bringing them out to the field with me and at what age. They always say they want to go with me but I do not think they know what that "really" means. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

GrouseBuster
Old 01-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What age is the right age to start hunting?

i think its mostly up to you and how responsible you think yourkids are. i remember my dad brought me out with him in a two man treestand when i was about 5 or 6 and i jus sat there and watched, we never did see anything but it was still a great experience.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:32 PM

My dad always brought me with him deer hunting when I was really young. He also took me out quail hunting even before I could shoot a shotgun. He just told me to bring along my BB gun just so I could feel like I had a chance at getting something. Even though I never did get any quail with my BB gun, I still found it fun, especially when I was walking one time and a quail flew up right in front of me and I fell over because it startled me. Just take them out sometime. If they get bored, then take them back. At my lake cabin, I always take my younger cousins out rabbit hunting with me. Even though we rarely get anything, they always want to come with. They really enjoy when we go off the trails around there and go into the thick brush and try and make our way out. Bottom line is, just make it fun for them, don't be worried about keeping them quiet all the time and make sure that if they get bored, then take them home.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:04 PM

I agree with PSE.. it has to be fun or they won't want to keep doing it.. my dad took me out pheasant and quail hunting for as long as i can remember.. i went through two BB guns before i got my first shotgun.. i always thought that if i got the chance i could hit a quail in the head and kill it haha.. i would say that they are at the right age to take them out, but i also agree with whtiecloud in that it does depend on how responsible you think they are.. be sure to set guidelines and have them use the proper safety with their BB gun so they carry that safety onto using a shotgun..
Old 01-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

all of these guys have hit it on the head. it's all between how responsible they are and how fun it is. take them out with a .410 and let them shoot a popcan. then if they handle it good enough, take them out hunting for squirrel. my first game animal was a squirrel and it's one of the best to hunt i think. but responsibility is the main thing.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad started me out when i was about that age and he made me carry my gun unloaded for one year until i understood the responsibility and a bb gun for just shooting at birds around my house and at cans. If they ever get bored take them to a place you know they will see animals and dont scold them for coughing or sneezing in the deer stand or talking to loudly and take them something to do like a peice of paper and a pencil that they can draw wildlife pics on. Also encourage themto help conserve the outdoors and also teach them to know what hey shoot at. Alot of kids i know say they mistook the cowhorn for a big deer and shot at it at dark but really saw the deer for what it was and shot and to be proud of their kill if they are not proud of it then what is the use
Old 01-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Three of my grandkids recently got the chance to sit in a ground blind with me , they are 9 , 6 , & 5 . The six year old is a girl . I took the 6 YO girl and 5 YO boy out first during the midday , and they sat there just as good as gold and said very little for 2 hours and whispered when they did . Afterward , I took the 9 YO boy out to the same blind and he fidgeted and talked the whole time . Finally , after an hour of this I packed it in. It all depends on the kids and how motivated they are .
Old 01-16-2006, 08:53 PM

I think its all in matureity. Here in WI I had to wait till 12. I was mature enough then. Now there trying to change to 8...I was deff. not mature at that age. Some people are in 20's and are not mature enough look at that
Chi Vang. Ifit should be a set age I would say 12-13. Ive seen 6 year olds hunting and were awsome about it. I also think its unfair for thos who start young and have to wait for so long to hunt. I know a 6-7 thats awsome with a gun and very stealth and very mature for his age. because he was out there so young.
Its all Opinion.
Cory
Old 01-17-2006, 02:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think everyone pretty much has this one well covered
Old 01-17-2006, 12:37 PM

i think 12 is a good age to get and deffiently just take them out

Quick Reply: What age is the right age to start hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.