Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sulfur

Old 04-28-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Sulfur

I dont know if this is true, but here is a statement from a clover seed dealers brochure. " Clover will withstand low soil PH very well, as long as the sulfur levels are kept in the 25 pounds per acre area and other fertility, phospherous and potassium are adaquate. If this is true it could help people in tough spots with low ph.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sulfur

Since sulphur is frequently used as an acidulant(lowers Ph) I would be inclined to take that advice with a grain of salt . Aluminum sulphate(alum) is a good example of sulphur being used as an acidulant for crops like blueberries which require a low Ph .
Old 04-29-2005, 01:55 PM

Never heard of that before.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sulfur will reduce the PH only temporarily, it goes thru the soil rather quickly when it leaches the ph is still there..
Old 04-30-2005, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Skeetr,that's a new one on me?
Old 05-05-2005, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

Sulfer is one of those micro-nutrients that is only added when the soil is lacking it. Clovers and Alfalfa do need some sulfer, but an extra soil test is required, or your plants can be sent in for analysis of deficiencies. When planting clover, I'm mainly concerned with raising the PH with lime up to about 6.5 so the clover can use the applied potassium and phosphorus.

Gypsum is usually added when soils require sulfer. Gypsum does not adjust the PH like lime, but it is a calcium and sulfer source.