Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

WHOLE SOYBEANS

Old 03-24-2005, 03:37 PM

Default WHOLE SOYBEANS

I have heard and read some of the benefits of feeding deer whole soybeans instead of corn. Namely the 30% protien levels. The problem is where can you obtain it in bags for a decent price or order it?? Corn is everywhere for about $5 per bag.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: WHOLE SOYBEANS

a grain elevator? you might not be able to buy it in bags, but you can buy it in bulk. just pull up underneath the drop chute after they weigh your truck, then they'll put as many bushels of beans you want in the back. then you weigh again and pay. you'll have to go home and bag it.

tip: put a bunch of buckets in the back of your truck when they fill it.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:00 PM

My property is in West Virginia but I live in florida (Long way to hunt I know). I want to set up a corn feeder to feed the whole dried soybeans according to an article I read. I appreciate the reply but I am unsure if there are any in WV and I am sure we have none in Florida so thus I need to find out where to get them from so I can pick them up on the road trip north or around my property. I would hunt Florida for deer but they are not all that big here and it is tooo hot.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:06 PM

I was able to find the article and attached the link: http://www.deerhunters.net/articles/nutrition.htm
Old 03-24-2005, 04:28 PM

i've considered "sweetening" soybeans by spraying w/ apple juice or maybe trying to salt them down before filling the feeders. i've never taken the time to try either. plus corn works so darn well. very interesting article --- i'd be interested in your results. good luck!
Old 03-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Flahunt, contact your local feed and seed store. The stores around here will get all the whole dry soybeans you want by the bag. Just up the road I can get the bulk beans by the seed wagon. Something else the deer love are cull peanuts. We can get wagon loads free and they eat them better than beans and the nutrition rate is as good or better than beans.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:33 PM

timbercruiser.....never heard of cull peanuts......where and what time of year do you get those???? I occasionally head up in your part of Florida so I am very interested.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you go to s store and buy the beans they will be about $10 or more a bushel, corn will be $2.90 , lets think about this for a minute, also they do not prefer soybeans over corn.... maybe in the field but not the grain...
Old 03-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am using roasted soy beans. They're about $12/100 pounds, which isn't cheap. BUT, the beans have protein...not just carbs like the corn.

I mix them about 40% beans to about 60% corn. They eat them to death.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:58 PM

Since we are both wanting to manage and attract deer I want to do both. We will all agree that corn will attract deer better than just the soybeans. Crude protien on corn is about 7% whereas soybean is about 30-36%. Deer can only absorb about 17% or so I have read and been told, I am no biologist by any means. Thus if we mix the corn and soybeans we have the best of both worlds good for them and highly attractive.

Quick Reply: WHOLE SOYBEANS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.