Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Insecticides for apple trees?

Old 01-10-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Insecticides for apple trees?

I have about 14 old apple trees that I am trying to rejuvenate. I released, pruned and fertilzed them last spring. Some of the trees did produce limited fruit. Quite a few of them are infested with sometype of insect. Can anyone recommend an insecticide to spray on them this spring?
I have accesss to a power sprayer mounted on an ATV. I would like to buy a concentrate some I can make it multiple times and keep the cost down. Also when do I start spraying and how often should I spray the trees?
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:16 PM

Default RE: Insecticides for apple trees?

Check out your Co-op if you have one near you, they can help. If not, go to Wally World and start reading labels. Lowes or Home Depot also will have insecticides. You will have to get the spray on the trees when they are in bloom, that's the time the insects get into the blossom. Note the chemical contents, lots of brand names, just different, or the same chemicals. Also note the % of the chemicals. The higher the percentage, the more you may be able to dilute. Some of the more concentrated types require a USDA users permit, which you have to attend a class in hazardous chemicals. The class is about 3-4 hours long and gives you a lot of info. This is how the farmers get certain chemicals that the ordinary gardeners can't use.

Russ
Old 01-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-11-2005, 02:28 PM

Thanks guys.. I appreciate it.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Duckwhacker; what type of insect are you talking about? Is it in the fruit, in the tree or on the the tree? If it's a borer or diseased limbs pruning is often the best clean-up method. Deer don't mind a few worms in their apples. Unless you want some fruit for yourself it's usually best to spray as infrequently as possible, basically only spray when there's an outbreak. Otherwise you can upset the natural balance that takes place.

Like Early Riser says dormant oil is pretty essential to lower overwintering populations.

Dan O.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:10 PM

Dan O, I have know idea what insects are attacking the trees. I do know that thetent caterpillars were doing a job on them last spring. I was hoping to do some preventive maintanance on them by spraying them. Just something to help them out.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually just burn the caterpiller tents. I've got a 6 foot long piece of tubing that screws onto a propane bottle. Light the end and you can usually reach most of the tents. Even though (and probably because) I have my pesticide license, I like to spray as little as possible.

Dan O.