Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 Can't Bait, so what's a good deer attractant >

Can't Bait, so what's a good deer attractant

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Can't Bait, so what's a good deer attractant

Old 01-01-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Can't Bait, so what's a good deer attractant

My family has 2000acres up north which surrounds a lake and we don't seem to have very good food sources for the deer, other than scattered oaks, and mostly brush for the deer to feed on. This past hunting season the amount of deer we saw in the woods was extremely low, numbers aren't down in our area they just don't have much reason to move around often for food. If there is any type of food source attractants that would be good in the woods for hunting and good for the deer without much maintenance of a big planted field which would be legal in a non baiting area please let me know.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-02-2005, 02:02 PM

Default RE: Can't Bait, so what's a good deer attractant

go wth some imperial clover and that will be all she wrote. that is a quick plant and attractant. u can combine that with the tree planting and such, but the clover will come right up and have 100's of deer hitting it
Old 01-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try a few different things like zuchini squash the deer up here go absolutely crazy over that stuff
Old 01-03-2005, 01:11 PM

I appreciate the input, I was thinking about planting some types of trees. The only problem is that where my blind is at it's in between the starting of a swamp and the starting of some oaks. But there isn't much sun light where I'm at and the soil is mostly sand, so I didn't think that would work too well. If there is a tree or shrub that might work well in that type of condition please let me know. That imperial clover sounds pretty good I've seen that at Jay's sporting goods but again I just wasn't sure if it would work all that well where I'm at though. If the clover doesn't need much sunlight, and can grow in mostly sand that might work well.

Thanks, for the info.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Squash will grow just about anywhere untill the deer find it anyway.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:44 PM

Tree's are always a good management tool, the problem is that that wont really start helping you out for at least 8 to 10 years depending on type. You really need to think about starting some food plots. pick several locations near the center of your property and clear it and plant. This will be the quickest solution to your problem. Use a good Clover and your plots will last up to 5 years with little maintenance. To answer your question about shade tolerant trees and bushes try Hazelnut tree's, Red mulberry, and blackberry. i hope this helps.

ORIGINAL: BIGBUCKfan

I appreciate the input, I was thinking about planting some types of trees. The only problem is that where my blind is at it's in between the starting of a swamp and the starting of some oaks. But there isn't much sun light where I'm at and the soil is mostly sand, so I didn't think that would work too well. If there is a tree or shrub that might work well in that type of condition please let me know. That imperial clover sounds pretty good I've seen that at Jay's sporting goods but again I just wasn't sure if it would work all that well where I'm at though. If the clover doesn't need much sunlight, and can grow in mostly sand that might work well.

Thanks, for the info.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:25 PM

I thank you guys for the input, hunting is something that's fun but it's even more fun when you know you can go into the woods and see some deer. That was why I posted this topic. I think what I'll do is make 2 16ft. x 16ft. dirt planting areas with a wolmanized wood perimeter to hold the soil and plants in one spot. Probably put the squash in one and the clover in the other, and then plant 2 apple trees outside the planters around my area. It will probably be pretty crowded due to the thick cover around my blind, but I should be able to pull it off and should have some deer interested in it enough to come around periodically. Hopefully those plants should do well without much sunlight but there is enough water, being on the edge of a swamp so it should work well. If anyone has any idea on how much certain apple trees may cost and what would be a good apple tree for that certain type of area, I would greatly appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2005, 08:24 AM

One suggestion. Instead of the advertised special blend clovers, Check on some Dutch White clover. It grows lower than the others, is more tolerant of PH ratings. To a degree it is invasive, will fight off a lot of weeds. I have it my orchard and yard and I can't kill it without tilling and herbicide. Right now it is what the deer are feeding on in our horse pasture.

Russ
Old 01-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Can't Bait, so what's a good deer attractant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.