Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
ALL YEAR FOOD PLOT>>>>>What should I plant?? HELP! >

ALL YEAR FOOD PLOT>>>>>What should I plant?? HELP!

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

ALL YEAR FOOD PLOT>>>>>What should I plant?? HELP!

Old 02-27-2002, 01:12 PM

Default ALL YEAR FOOD PLOT>>>>>What should I plant?? HELP!

Hello everyone, as most of you know, I am planning on planting a 2 1/2 to 3 acre food plot this spring. I have a few questions for you.

First off, I live in Indiana County, which is in the Southeastern part of Pennsylvania.

1. What plants grow the best in this area?

2. Is there a seed mixture that I can mix together when I plant so I will have a food plot the entire year. I would like something that will grow in the summer,winter, spring, and the fall.

3. Are there any good sites besides www.wildlifeseeds.com that can give good information about a certain plant. Such as, is their a site where they will tell me all the information on lab-lab, when it grows, amount of protein...

4. How long should I fence the plot in after planting it?

5. Would 4 foot fence be a fairly good deterant of animals?

6. Should I place salt blocks in the middle of the plot. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put a couple acorn/apple/corn/regular salt licks or mineral licks in the middle of the plot during the spring. Would this help attract more deer?

7. There is a small pond about 30 yards from where the food plot is going to be, should I cut a small path in the brush that leads to the pond? I have heard that deer get thristy after feeding so I was wondering if a three foot trail through the thick brush would be a good idea.

8. What type of fertillizer is best for getting the maximum out of the seeds?

9. Would Miracle Grow make the plants bigger, and would it be safe to use?

Thats about it, thanks for all of the help guys.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
"Hunting is not a sport, it is a passion, it is a WAY OF LIFE"
Old 02-27-2002, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ALL YEAR FOOD PLOT>>>>>What should I plant?? HELP!

Nice racks. Before you do anything do some soil samples. This will take the guess work out of the equation. Until you know what type of soil you have and how much of what type of fertilizer and lime, everything is an unknown... Just don't be in a hurry to fail, there's still time to plant.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:24 PM

Generally clover,and alfalfa works in many areas of the country.The best advice that I can give is talk to your local lawn and garden store to find out what would be best for your area.Plus if you can plant apple trees is also good thing to protect,even though you will have to protect them more in the begining stages of the growing process but after they get esablished they should attract the deer for a long time in the future.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:51 PM

I am purchasing a ph testing kit and plan on getting the right amount of lime.

There are a few apple trees in my back yard and tons of crab apple trees surrounding the edge of the field where the plot will be.

Old 02-27-2002, 02:57 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-27-2002, 08:30 PM

Thanks guys. You have been alot of help, I am trying to do this right, I want the best darn food plot out there, but who doesn't? haha

Old 02-27-2002, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think I would try to just plant one crop. Maybe some clover, corn and iron clay peas. Then when the frost kills the peas plant some wheat, rye, and oats mixture on part of the land. Checking with the local feed and seed places will be a big help..
Old 02-27-2002, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck on your plot. The more you look into your options - the more questions you will have. I use Google.com to search for good information. I use this message board to get feedback, and share with others.

First, I don't quite understand why you mentioned a fence. I wouldn't worry about one unless I was planting young trees or something similar.

Second, The lick will best serve you if placed back in a bit of cover, where deer might like to access your plot. You will get a lot more usage.

My last bit if info would be in regards to the food plot. In my experience, clover mixes are best for an overall plot. Stay away from the exotic type plantings, and ones the include grasses (perenial rye, or fescue). All the advice you've gotten so far comes from some pretty experienced people. The soil test is a must, but keep in mind that the test is a "snapshot" in time of your soil conditions that will vary by season, site preparation, and any improvements you make with plantings or fertilizer/lime. You will want to get your soil to an optimum Ph (6.5-7.0) but understand that food plots will grow in soils that are not optimum, to a point. The real key to a food plot is to make adjustments as you go along. (Mow, dress w/lime and/or fertilzer, etc.)

Have fun, and keep in mind that whatever you provide as a plot - it'll likely be better than where you started. Keep things simple if you can.

Many of us will be happy to address specific questions with our experiences.