Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Soil conditions/planting clover

Old 02-21-2002, 12:29 PM
Spike

Default Soil conditions/planting clover

I know it is best to test the soil and make amendments before planting, but I have a question. My land is very VERY sandy soil in the NE. I have noticed that the only thing that likes to grow (and it grows like a weed) is clover. It covers areas around the house without any help to the soil. Does this mean that if I was to clear a plot in the woods of my land that clover would still grow great or would I still have to test and amend the soil?
Old 02-21-2002, 02:09 PM

Default RE: Soil conditions/planting clover

You definately need to do a soil test. The soils ph and fertilizer requirements will more than likely be different in a newly cleared area than inside the boundries of your lawn anyway. Always better to be safe than sorry later. Take the time to do it right the first time it will pay off.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Soil conditions/planting clover

No, you will need to plant some alfalfa. The clover described is most likely not very nutritous. The quality clovers require at least a good sandy loam. Soil pH is important. The higher the quality the clover the higher the pH value is needed. Usually 6.5 - 7.0.