Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot help

Old 08-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default food plot help

My friend and i are 14 and 15 and we are goin to plant a one acre food plot to attract deer the genetics are good in the herd so we dont need allot of protein. And we want to have it up before bow season which is a little over a month away we were thinkin about planting oats because they grow fast and have good foliage what do you think?
Old 08-03-2004, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: food plot help

Deer need protein regardless of their genetics. I would recommend clover since it will last 3-4 years in some areas. With the rain we are having it will be up quickly. Be sure to only cover the seed no more than 1/4 inch. I suggest a soil test first and add the recommended amount of lime.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:29 AM

You can also try planting a mix of Clover & Oats. Whitetail Institute said this is a common practice w/ clover. The oats won't shade & hinder the clovers growth. Then next spring you will still have the clover.

Now, if you want almost no work you can simply scatter Oats on the bare ground and have an attractant for a few weeks to a month or so until they are all eaten. If you plan to plant clover, make you do all the necessary steps first (kill weeds, disc, soil test, lime) - otherwise you will waste your money.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:24 PM

To get you plot ready for the fall bow season, any of the grains will get you a 'kill' plot. They will grow even if the PH is a little low. Oats, Wheat, Rye are a couple choices. Don't know where you are at, but the grains will do OK until the first frost unless you seed Buck Forage Oats. Start planning for a new planting in the spring, check the PH with a soil test. If you state what you plan on planting, the soil test will tell you what you need for fertilizer, etc. You should get a soil sample and get it soon; as Lime, if needed needs to be on the soil a few months to do any good. A county extension agent can help you get the test run and can give you a lot of pointers.
Start reading through all the posts here and you will start to get a picture of what food plots are all about. Work, research, time, and money. There is no such thing as a quick fix.

Russ