Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

horse feed

Old 02-22-2002, 02:02 PM

Default horse feed

has anyone ever tried horse feed or horse minerals to help antler growth?
I was looking into purchasing 30.06 mineral suppl. and a fellow hunter at a feed store told me to try horse minerals. He said it works great and is very cheap. appreciate any info on this
Old 02-22-2002, 10:31 PM

Default RE: horse feed

I use to work at a feed mill and I knew some people used horse mineral on deer and it really didn't improve the antler growth,but it did produce bigger bodied deer,because of high protein.Try using a product called"super 6" mineral used for aiding in bone development in animals.Hope this helps you.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The apple flavoured horse licks have the same analysis as the deer licks they sell in our hunting store and they're 1/3 of the price.

Dan O.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:38 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I use to work at a feed mill and I knew some people used horse mineral on deer and it really didn't improve the antler growth,but it did produce bigger bodied deer,because of high protein.Try using a product called&quot;super 6&quot; mineral used for aiding in bone development in animals.Hope this helps you.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>Thanks for the info fellows
I'm doing this for the first time and I'm a little green as far as this stuff goes
Old 02-24-2002, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good question.

I was wondering about the alfalfa cubes my wife buys for our horses. I was thinking of trying them, I think they are 8 or 9 bucks for a fifty pound bag.
I did put out some trace mineral salt out, It's the same color as the dirt, And I have'nt seen any track in it.
Old 02-24-2002, 06:54 PM

I use Alfalfa cubes and/or hay in the winter months,starting in Jan.I don't know why they eat it in Jan.I've tried earlier but they wouldn't eat it.I think it was because the weather normally gets colder then.So I guess you should try anytime and see when they consume it more.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:47 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I use Alfalfa cubes and/or hay in the winter months,starting in Jan.I don't know why they eat it in Jan.I've tried earlier but they wouldn't eat it.I think it was because the weather normally gets colder then.So I guess you should try anytime and see when they consume it more.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>As I said before I'm new at this. The super 6 you mentioned, have you used it and if so did it work?
Old 02-25-2002, 01:48 PM

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>As I said before I'm new at this. The super 6 you mentioned, have you used it and if so did it work?
Old 02-25-2002, 01:49 PM

Old 02-25-2002, 03:46 PM

Yes I have used it and the way that it works for me is to first use it as a top dressing on corn,black oil sunflower seeds, then I'll put a little pile of it right next to the feed.But you normally use it to mix with other feed.

Quick Reply: horse feed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.