Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

homemade feeders

Old 03-13-2004, 06:58 AM

Default homemade feeders

I heard some pennywise hunters have been using large PVC pipe attached to a tree as a gravity fed corn/meal feeder. Does anyone out there have any designs for this?

I am also trying to find homemade tripod feeder designs as well.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Virginia Hunter
Old 03-13-2004, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: homemade feeders

I have PVC feeder in my backyard for the backyard pets, but if I were going to put out one for hunting or as part of a feeding program I would get a 55 gallon barrel and put a timed feeder on it.
Take about 4 1/2 feet of 8" PVC and cut a notch about an inch wide and about 2 1/2 inches long in the bottom of the pipe. Cut a round piece of treated wood and put it in that same end as the bottom. Make a 1 1/2' square trough area with an inch rim around it. Then screw the trough to the bottom of the pipe into the round piece of wood. You may have to enlarge the opening for the grain to fall out. Stand it up, add grain and put a piece of cap on the other end. The bad part about these type of feeders is that every critter in the woods from dogs, coons,rats, possums, coyotes to every type of bird there is will use them for feeding and probably 50% or more of your feed will not go for deer.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:22 AM

Any pics of your backyard feeder. You lost me after the treated wood cut.

Where should I look for the 55 gal drum?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 03-13-2004, 03:00 PM

The simple way is; 4 foot piece of 4" pipe. Tie it to a tree with a 2inch dia. stick under the back edge. Fill with corn, etc. Cut the top side from a gallon jug to fit over top. This top keeps out moisture and squirrels. Have you got turkeys? they will empty that pipe in minutes. eat their fill and let the rest rot. A timed feeder on anything from a 5 gal. pail up to a 55gal. drum might be what you want. Better have a way to get that feeder up high, either a tripod or a stout tree limb. There are a number of timed units to mount on it. Some digital units can be set for various times. Simple ones work at dawn and dusk. How thick your wallet is depends on wht you get.

Russ
Old 03-13-2004, 07:13 PM

you casn get a Moultrie feeder for about $24.00 at wally-world.
Put it on a 55 gal. drum , use a boat winch and a pully to pull it up into a big tree limb.
they feed two to five times a day.depends on the one you get.
feeder , winch , drum , and pully will run you about $50.00 and you are done and no problems with coons and other varmints.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:50 AM

Drums can be found in a lot of places. Bulk oil plants usually have them, most industries get many supplies in them. Some even have to pay to dispose of them. Pay carefull attention to what came in them, some materials could be toxic to animals if not thoroughly cleaned. They come in many sizes, too. 20-33-55 gal. so you have a choice if you don't want a large unit. Drums are one of those things you don't notice unless you are actively looking for them, they don't leave them in their front yard.

Russ
Old 03-14-2004, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Here's a feeder made from a pickle barrel with auto feeder, holds 300# of corn.
http://www.advanceddesignsinc.com/images/w0401008.jpg
Old 03-24-2004, 06:20 PM

Easy and cheap feeder.

Take a piece of 6" or 8" PVC about 5 ft. long. One end put a removable cap. The other end put a Y split cap the bottom of the Y leaving one open end sticking up at a 30 degree angle. These work great for me in the winter to feed the wildlife. Another thing I have done is built a little platform out of scrap wood so it sits off the ground a little to keep away some of the other visitors.

Another helpful thing I have done was take a road cone and cut the top to fit into the top of the pipe to use as a funnel.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:54 PM

take a bucket with lid. drill a hole slighty bigger than broomstick in bottom of bucket. put some nails through end of broomstick. slide broomstick in bucket hole. fill bucket with corn, and keep a small pile on ground under it to train deer to bump broomstick and corn fall out. hang 4 ft. of ground.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:10 PM

one of my buddies has a feeder like you are talking about. he took 4" pvc secured it to the tree put a bucket on top and about 3 or 4 feet above the ground he put a y in the piece of strait pipe. i have been making my own 55 gal feeders, with timers or self feeders. the timer feeders are just like the ones you see in cabelas. the self feeders i make into a tripod feeder bolting plates on the sides then took 2 inch pipe about 5 inches long and cut an angle on one side at a 45 degree angle then welded the angle side to the plate that is bolted to the bottom side of the drum. then use 1.5 inch pipe at your own desired length and slide it into the 2 inch. i use around a 5 or 6 ft 1.5 pipe it is just high enough to keep everything out but the deer and the turkeys which jump up and knock the corn out. then on the bottom in between the legs on the bottom side of the drum cut small holes for feed to come out. then cut a 7 in x 7in plate and bolt it under the hole acticng as a tray for the feed to lay on.i just drive the 4 wheeler to the drum and stand on the racks to dump feed in. i really like it and seems to be holding up really well. i like the portable legs that can be taken out makes it easy to transport. my bddies have saw this idea and now i am making them and some profit. my parents own a dealership and sell new holland and massy tractors and equipment plus skidders and logging equip. so there are lots or drums to use up.

Quick Reply: homemade feeders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.