Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Chicory

Old 12-23-2003, 08:53 PM

Default Chicory

If I top spread my clover this spring with Chicory can I spray it later with Poast or something similar to kill the grass?

ArcheryElkDude
Old 12-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chicory

I think most of us have not tried chicory enough to say much. I planted some in a test plot - and the deer seemed to prefer the clover and rye nearby so I never planted it in a plot.

Good luck, - If you have results good OR bad - Post them back.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:46 AM
Spike

Ive had great results with chicory here in IN. I planted Biologic Premium perrenial and the deer seemed to be eating the chicory over the clover and the brassicas in the mix. This wasnt surprising to see the deer choose the chicory over the brassicas in the warmer months of the year, but to see them hitting the chicory as hard as they did with clover also available was a little surprising to me. Over my one acre plot Id say atleast 75% of the chicory plot showed signs of browsing. Im excited about chicory in my plots as the plant has a really deep tap root and should really thrive in drought conditions. Chicory is also a great plant for pulling the minerals out of the soil, which in turn will deliver it to the deer who eat it. I also use poast in order to take control of the grasses that pop up in the plots and it works great and doesnt harm the chicory, clover or brassicas that are in the mix.I normally use mowing to control the plot of grasses and weeds as much as possible, but with the Premium Perrenial I didnt mow the hole plot as I wanted to let the brassicas grow up so they could be available above the snow.

Farmhunter what kind of chicory did you plant this summer?
Old 01-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

You can frost-seed the chicory, or plant it just about anytime if you've banked enough soil moisture. I favor a fall planting myself here in So MD. Great stuff for droughty soils or droughts for that matter - the deer will mow it down once they adapt to it. No problem spraying chicory with grass killer, chicory will also tolerate Fusilade and even Plateau. Give it lots of nitrogen.
-fsh
Old 01-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

archeryelkdude, We've(my dad) have not sprayed any of our plots with weed killer and just mow twice a year. our success of chicory was very similiar to Pilot's, in the sense that the deer seemed to mow the chicory out over the clovers well into October. This year we'll try chicory only mini plot's and wander if it will choke out the weeds as it will draw from/rob other plants of nutrients! good luck
Old 01-13-2004, 07:07 AM

I won a bag of it this fall, so I'll try it out in central MO. sometime soon.