Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Weed killer for food plots

Old 08-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Spike

I'm not sure if it is feasible where you are but we opt to go a less toxic route which sounds feasible for you if you are only doing 1/4 acre plots.

Two things you can do, solar burning (if the plot gets a few hours of sun per day), basically do black plastic sheets over the area. Best to just set it up at the beginning of the summer and pull it when you are ready to plant. Second method is a controlled burn which works just as well. Burns work the best especially if you can get the grass kind of tall first. Then you can mow it and let the clipping dry and use them for fuel. This kills the grass at the roots as well as cooking the seeds.

Burning works best in my opinion since you dont have to worry about pre-emergent since you kill the seeds also with the burn.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

burning is a good option, as it places pot ash back into the mix too
but its very hard to burn green plants, and burring is a risk period, as if a fire jumps on you, you are legally liable for any damages that can happen
I have done countless controlled burns, was a HUGE game management tools many yrs back(still is on some places)
but due to law suits and fear of them, many game depts barely do any, any more@!

I tend to still use round up
then dis WIDE paths around sections and burn things in small sections
wind is a BIG worry
and I keep a large tank sprayer handy,and as many friends I can sucker to be there to help in case things go south

SOME times if your LUCKY you can get local fire depts to come and burn things for you, and then they get to practice putting it out at the end or??

a few cased of beer has been a BIG tool to get help like that over the yrs LOl
Old 08-10-2017, 03:30 PM
Spike

Fully agree with mrbb! Definitely always check with the count before doing any burns as well.