Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot Mixes for N.W. FL

Old 06-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Spike

Question Food Plot Mixes for N.W. FL

Hi Guys, I'm starting my first food plot in N.W. FL 2nd year lease. I had my soil tested and it's at a 5.9 . I'm going to put some lime and 13/13/13 fertilizer. What do you guys think about planting Whitetail Institute Oats,Winter Peas and a little amount of Eagle Seed Soybeans? Also I was thinking of putting Winter Greens and Rye like 6 to 8 weeks after to maintain it through the winter. Good,Bad,Any suggestions? BTW I'm starting the plot in late Aug. Thanks!!
Old 06-21-2017, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would contact your county extension office and ask someone in the know there since there aren't probably aren't many on this site that are familiar with the area you live in. Oh, and welcome to the site!!!
Old 06-21-2017, 09:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

My plots are in S.E. Louisiana, about 70 miles North of New Orleans, in a pine tree plantation area. I suspect the conditions are pretty close to what you have.

I can tell you that if your plots are small like mine - in the 1/3 to 1/2 acre range - you will be wasting money with any type of bean plants. They won't get past six inches before the deer wipe them out. I get my generic seed from a local feed & seed store and plant a mix of wheat, oats and about any variety of white (Ladino) clove plus a bit of chicory. It's cheaper than the bags with pictures of big bucks andI have great success with this mix. The oats and wheat are a good winter draw, with the clover and chicory coming in strong in the spring to feed the pregnant does.

Also, if you're in Florida's Zone D, I suggest you hold off planting until mid-September, or about two to three weeks before your season opener.

Last edited by Semisane; 09-16-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:19 AM
Spike

Thank you Semisane. The property is just S/W of Blountstown. The reason why I'm planning for August is that my boys are out of school and can help me. I'll see if I can do it with them in Sept. Three of the areas are about 1/2 acre and the other 2 are like 1/4 acre. like 2 to 2 1/2 acres in total for a 690 acre property. The property is mostly pines. Thanks again for taking the time to help a rookie in food plots lol.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

One more suggestion csival, be sure to put an exclusion cage on each plot. Without that you really don't know what's going on or how well the plots are producing.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:50 AM
Spike

Good idea, thanks.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

The best food plot plant I have found for south Bama and NW Fl is Buck Forage Oats. I always try to plant near the end of September and fertilize with about 225 lbs/ac of triple 13. You can top it off with some Yuchi Arrowleaf Clover.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:24 AM
Spike

Default I been hunting here for 10 years

I live and hunt in Clarksville Florida and I have found that a good growth of cowpeas planted around this time and taped is a good small plot. Open your plot the week before archery, also I plant deer rape and clover around the outside of the tape to bring them in. Intermittently throwing in some Soybeans helps keep them coming to. Lime and 10/10/10 is almost a necessity to make it all work.