Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Sugar Beats?

Old 01-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sugar Beats?

Anyone use them in plots?

I am expanding a few of my plots and adding two new ones. Thinking of trying sugar beats in half of two big plots.

Any first hand experience appreciated.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

We planted a few Sugar Beets for 2 years in a row.....they did pretty good and We had them mixed in with Turnips,Brassicas and Rape.The Deer ate them up later in the Winter when their wasn't much other food sources around plus they worked the Turnips too.The Turnips,Rape and Brassicas had more desirable Leaves to browse on earlier in the growing Season and when it frosted the Sugar level went up making the plant leaves more enticing.The Sugar Beets were not cheap up here in Missouri.....something like $12.00 a Pound!

I like to mix and plant a few different Plants to see what the Deer like the most and some Plants will last longer than others or serve different purposes besides feeding they can serve as cover or be useful for Doves,Quail and Turkey.

We planted Milo and Sunflowers in a few Food Plots this Summer,the Birds and Turkeys are still using them into January and the Deer still use them for bedding and cover....I even threw in some Clover that has suprisingly done very good and is still flourishing through out the shade of the Milo.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 01-29-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks GTO. I have a brassica,turnip, radish blend I am using for my main plots. Yeah, SB here in VT are $12 per pound also. Though a little variety wouldn't hurt. I planted sunflowers one year, about 1/2 and acre. The songbirds and squirrels pretty much ate them all so I won't try that again ��
Old 02-18-2017, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your Welcome Rob....maybe do a mixture of Sugar Beets and Brassicas or even go with the Beets and Sunflowers?If the Birds and Squirrels ate a lot of the Sunflowers at least they didn't get wasted!

This Year I'm going to go thicker with the Sunflowers and put Milo on the edges in a few of our Plots and like You I like to Plant a Variety of Items to change it up and to see what the Deer like the most!
Old 02-20-2017, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a buddy that plants sugar Beets most years on his farm. The Deer don't seem much interested. They will browse along the verge, bushes and Rye, but don't seem drawn to Beets.

They hit the winter Rape hard, in the winter when it is young and then again later after it matures and makes seeds.

I've had good luck with Corn, I let it grow, dry on the stock and let it fall where it may. Deer seem to hang around those plots all year. Either feeding off the young plants or the Corn kernels on the ground.