Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Wireless Video

Old 12-23-2016, 06:11 AM
Spike

Default Wireless Video

Bought a camera on Ebay from China. Guy claimed it would work out to 1000 meters. Got it and it works to about 100 M. This is clear line of site. Even so, it's be fun watching the deer while sitting in the house at night.
Bought some antenna coax and better antenna and boost it up the to about 400ft.This reaches an area by my pond.
But I want more range. Looked into running a coax cable. But from what I hear that won't get much more range.
Any suggestion on a camera? Radio Shack sells one that claim 450 feet. But the salesman said in reality it would do about 300 ft. Bout the same as what I got now.
I would run 1000m of coax if that would work. But what I hear is that would only get out about 400ft at best.
I googled Wireless Video Chat to see if I could find were they talk about cameras like this. I need not tell you want I found instead.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Strong spotlight aimed at the pond and a pair of good binoculars. simple and effective, no coax needed.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:29 AM
Spike

Not really what Im looking for. Already got the pond covered. This is just to lay back in the house and watch TV while watching the deer run around my food plots. Got a small TV for deer watching beside my regular TV. I've got sensors set out so I can hear them moving around. But I like to be able to see them too. I guess them main reason to put out food plots is to kill one. But also, just seeing the deer on your property is one of the big reasons too. I've seen two bucks fighting each other. When I had a pile of corn out I've watched them chase off raccoons. I've seen a doe and buck.... Well you know what they do. LOL
Old 12-24-2016, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Battery power kind of limits your options. Is it still photographs or video?

If you have the power, a linear amp and you can boost the range by a factor of 10 pretty easy.

A SWR meter, you can trim your antenna and get the most out of it.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:47 AM
Spike

Where it's at by the pond I have a storage building about half way with power. So I only have to run 150' of extension cord.
If I can get out to say 800m I figure I can stick a 12v battery with an inverter with it. Could also add a solar cell so I wouldn't have to recharge. Or maybe not recharge as much. Or depending on what camera I find, Some are 12v. So I could leave out the inverter.
Guess your talking about the same type linear amp used on CBs? But don't they over heat if left on? I can try one. If it works I'll probably have to look for a bigger solar cell. I'll also look around. I had a SWR meter at one time. If I can't found it I guess I can get one cheap enough.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:49 AM
Spike

O' Yeah. I'm taking about Live Feed Video here
Old 12-25-2016, 06:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Better check your state laws. In PA watching your TV and camera hook up in season, seeing a deer and then going out after that deer or shooting it from the house would be the illegal use of an electronic device to hunt. Not saying that is your intent just a recommendation.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

The down side to linear amps is they can generate a lot of interference. Enough oomph and your signal can bleed into a lot of stuff.

If there is a setting for taking stills, your battery life is greatly increased. Or video to card and a motion sensor. I had a remote setup using a motorcycle battery, it didn't last long before it was time for a recharge.

I haven't tried a large number of linears, but the ones I have tried seemed to suck a lot of power.

Linears aren't real expensive $30-$130 price range. VHF repeaters can be expensive. Boosters are moderately priced, coax isn't cheap.

The way I see it your biggest issue is the constant feed, you may be spending half your time recharging. A motion activated camera would likely extend battery life.

I really don't know a lot about what you are doing, just throwing some ideas out there.

Only three choices I can see, RF, cellular or cable. I have no idea what a cellular plan would cost for your application. But may be the better option if you have decent signal where you are at?
Old 12-25-2016, 07:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Better check your state laws. In PA watching your TV and camera hook up in season, seeing a deer and then going out after that deer or shooting it from the house would be the illegal use of an electronic device to hunt. Not saying that is your intent just a recommendation.
Good point. Checked online and didn't see anything. Have seen that you can't use electronic calls. Next time I see a Gamewarden I'll ask him about it. I have found them to be very friendly and helpful when you come to them with a question. I'm sure it would be a different story if they came to me first. Sound like at worst I might have to remove it when the season is open. I'm in Missouri in case some here knows what the law here might be.

Last edited by Weedy; 12-25-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:40 AM
Spike

Wonder what the laws are then using game cams with Cellular transmission? Guess they may vary state to state. While I'm not planning on carrying a TV to my stand. Seems like a phone that get instant photos would be about the same thing. I don't have one because I don't want the monthly bill. I don't know anyone that has one. But I know Cabelas sells a bunch of them.
How about it, Oldtimr? Would that also be illegal when the season is open in PA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.