Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food Plot mixes

Old 12-06-2016, 07:22 PM
Spike

Default Food Plot mixes

I recently locked down a piece of property that I have been given permission to plant plots on. I immediately started researching online and come across a hundred different companies offering "the best attractant" of some sort. Upon reading numerous threads on here it seems most don't use those name brand mixes (Biologic, Antler King, etc.). I don't see overpaying for something I could go to the local co-op & pick up cheap. So, tell me what you plant & why. I'm looking for year round nutrition as well as plots to hunt over in the fall.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

My standard mix for Fall planting of one acre (three small plots that total about an acre) is 50 lbs. wheat, 50 lbs. oats, 10 lbs. ladino clover and 3 lbs. chicory. That's a bit on the heavy side according to some. But I'm using the "no till" method and so going heavy is a bit of germination insurance. Sometimes I add about 25 lbs of black oil sunflower seed knowing the sunflower will be wiped out before they get six inches tall. But they are a good early draw to the plot.

I'm in S.E. Louisiana planting into sandy loam. I generally plant in mid-October so as to have a good plot for our mid-November season opener. I try to time the planting to a rain event. This year was a bit tough because of no rain in October. I ended up planting into dry ground on October 26 and didn't get any rain until November 7th. But we've been getting some rain every week since the 7th. and the plots are looking pretty good right now.

The deer generally wipe out any sunflower early, eat the wheat and oats throughout the winter, nibble the chicory a bit during the winter and wipe it out by early spring, and feast on the clover until it goes dormant in mid to late summer (depending on rainfall). Then I start all over again the next October.

This is my second year going the "no till" route and I'm pleased with the results so far. See the link below for my first year results.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wild...30-2016-a.html

Last edited by Semisane; 12-06-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are both spring plots which are perennials or crops and fall plots which are annuals.

Spring can be things such as clover, alfalpha, etc which come up each year. The require maintenance such as mowing but the animals can use it early to start putting weight back on.

Fall plots are usually done late summer like around Aug 1. They can be many things, but I typically have brassica, oats, and winter peas as a staple.

Crops such as corn, soy beans, or sugar beats are great but you may need to plant a lot in order to have any left for hunting season.

Be sure to do a soil test to check pH levels and any fertilizer needs.

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2016, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like You stated Rushy24...Your going to pay a lot more for the fancy Name Brand Fancy Seed when You can simply go to Your local Feed Store and buy most of the same seeds for a lot less.
1 thing I do highly reccomend is the Pennington Durana Clover...it has done very good and it drought resistant,takes heavy browsing and works good in partial shade.If You can catch it on sale it's not too expensive.

Personally I like planting Turnips,Raddishes,Brassicas and Rape in my Fall Plots and We had great Luck planting Milo and Sunflowers in April/May this year and I even thru in some Clover that's thickening up thru the Milo & Sunflowers.

Our local Hardware/Feed Store has Raddishes,Turnips and other misc seeds in Bulk and I can buy as much or little as I want depending on the Food Plot size and how many Plots We plant.Late Season Plots are usually Wheat & Oats,and hopefully the Turnip /Raddishes and Brassicas Plots hold out thru Nov/December?

If You like the Name Brand Seed mixtures try catching them on sale in the Off-Season for much cheaper prices.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

We planted Deer creek bears and sweets on a new property. It had clover in by the previous owner we cut out half of it that was weeds and grass.. It came up great and the deer love it... We will be planting it again.. I planted it the last day of July.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wheat and/or oats are usually a good option for a fall/winter plot. They are usually less expensive and a little more forgiving than some of the bag mixes. With a little research, you might find a good legume to mix with it. Some type of clover would be a good option if you get enough rainfall. Vetch is another option, and it is a pretty good companion for wheat/oat plantings. Deer will stay on them until they start to head out.

No suggestions for summer plots to keep things going year-round. Rainfall from May-September here is too hard to predict, and combined with hot weather, makes planting anything a gamble.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

I have a bag of new Zealand brassica ,should be planted in the fall just wondered if it'll still work now ? Thanks , what should I plant for deer ,turkey and hogs . Peanuts ? Have 20 acres of coastal and want tho plant the edges
Old 04-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Winter rye is hard to beat for a fall food plot. Winter rye is more drought tolerant than wheat and more cold tolerant than oats.

http://www.growbrutebucks.com/a/wint...g-results.html

A good spring food plot is red clay peas. The peas do need an inoculant. This plot also has some milo:

Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Spike

Here's what I've learned over the past 5 years. I have about 10 acres of food plots broken up into 6 different plots. It's tiring and expensive to have to re-plant every spring and fall so I transitioned 5 of the 6 fields to perennial clover/chicory. The deer HAMMER these fields all year. I will drag these fields with a steel drag in the beginning of august (after cutting them) and lightly overseed turnips. These do not need to be covered and grow between the clover, and by the time the winter is over there are none left and the clover and chicory aren't really hurt by it come spring. On field 6 I seed clover in the spring, after turning the oats from the previous year under, only because it's a good cover crop and puts out nitrogen, and in the fall I turn it under and seed oats again. I've found the deer can't stay off the oats and it's viable in southern Virginia into the winter. So, when my clover fields are looking bad because of cold the turnips draw deer in and in the oats field the oats are magic. This approach limits the replanting, provides tons of protein when it's needed most and carbohydrates when they need them most. And, it means all my fields are attractive all year. Works for me...
Old 05-03-2017, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info,it helps